PDA

View Full Version : coolant level

monza
17-05-2005, 10:54 PM
hi folks,

i'm getting to know my newly acquired 1983 280zx 2+2 manual - ive been around cars for a long time so fairly handy with a spanner. So far only 1 point of concern to run by you guys if i may :

on the radiator in my car there is a pressure cap on the top and an opening on the neck below the cap which seems to dump coolant on the top of the rad if the needs arises !, and if the viscous fan gets to play then it will happily spread it all over the front half of the engine bay - im happy that the car is runnning well and the system is not over pressureizing ( if i could only spell...! )

so, should there a pipe running from it to the floor - or even better a header tank !? and what level should the coolant be in the rad - my car seems happy to find its own level and not 1 inch from the bottom of the neck as in the manual ( it blows the excess out ! )

any help appreciated.

cheers
richard

Mr.F
17-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Rad vent tube should have a length of pipe running over to one side and down to below chassis level so any vented water ends up on the road. Non-U.K. cars may be seen with a vent tank mounted on a bracket to the O/S radiator support fillet.

Check that your radiator cap seal is in good condition and that the cap is rated at the right poundage for the car (13psi or 0.9 Kg/cm2).