Wheel Size Advice 7" vs 8"

DarbyshireZ

Club Member
Just trying to source some wheels for our 1972 standard suspension and body 240Z and after various bits of research had decided to go for the following i.e. 205/60/15 on 7 inch rims with zero offset. The wheel I fancied was a Rota Grid V but on speaking to the supplier he advised these were only available in 8 inch wheels.

Question is, will 8 inch fit standard set up or do I need to change the specification? I was just looking to fill the wheel arch a bit more than standard and make sure they fit over the upgraded front brake callipers as the original 14" Cobra slots are catching a little.

Any help welcome,

Thanks

Tim

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
These are 205/60/15 on 7" rims. Compomotive ML, offset?

Good clearance for brakes too.

On refection I did use spacers (5mm I think) with these.

Attachments

• 240Z 009.JPG
    240Z 009.JPG
    694.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 240Z 004.JPG
    240Z 004.JPG
    679.6 KB · Views: 46

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
These are 7" too but Minilites and 215/60/15. No spacers.

Attachments

• IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Just trying to source some wheels for our 1972 standard suspension and body 240Z and after various bits of research had decided to go for the following i.e. 205/60/15 on 7 inch rims with zero offset. The wheel I fancied was a Rota Grid V but on speaking to the supplier he advised these were only available in 8 inch wheels.

Question is, will 8 inch fit standard set up or do I need to change the specification? I was just looking to fill the wheel arch a bit more than standard and make sure they fit over the upgraded front brake callipers as the original 14" Cobra slots are catching a little.

Any help welcome,

Thanks

Tim

you can get the grid v in et20 7j

racer

Club Member
I'm running 8x15 Rota with a 0 offset and a 215/50 Tyre no clearance issues.

et20 means a +20mil offset to the inside so less dish. Hence the 0 offset is better looking with more dish. I'd go for the 8 inch wheel myself but maybe a 55 profile. Up to you.

status

Well-Known Forum User
I'm running 225-50-16 ,a 50 profile will keep your speedo reading correct and the rolling radius the same within a few degrees,I had a set of rota rb's but decided that something wasn't looking right,as Matt says you won't have any issues with 8 - 15 s but lack of tyre choice depending on wot you want,look at red 7 gallery,they are wot he got off me or my gallery,that's wot it sits like after being lowered a bit,little tip,before you get four tyres the same size try them on the front first to make sure you have no clearance issues,the Rotas look better the wider they are,also I found that the polished rims looked cheap compared to other wheel makes,best look at a few different styles

toopy

Club Member
I recently bought some 8j x 16" et+10 wheels, but they're not on the car yet, I tried a trial fit and as the wheel nuts started to tighten, the back of the wheel rim hit the coil spring!

An et0 zero offset would be fine , but i couldnt get these particular wheels with et0

now i need to use spacers and to do that safely i need to fit longer wheel bolts, so for now the shiny new wheels are relegated to the garage, i cant be arsed to deal with it till later in the year!

So, yes 8j et0 zero will fit, but definitely avoid any positive off set wheels, unless your planning on also fitting coil overs in which case there is more room available behind the wheel ;)

toopy

Club Member
Oh, and for information purposes, an 8j wheel isnt 8" wide, its more like 9!

the 8 refers to the width of the wheel at the point of the tyre bead, not including the extra bit/upstand either side that the tyre fits against :thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Have you considered 'staggered' wheels (narrower at front than rear).

Just a thought but you may have clearance issues at the front on lock. Also you could 'space' a staggered wheel to clear brakes.

Steering could be lighter too.

My 350Z and 370Z had staggered wheels. Many sports cars have them especially Porsches.

Last edited by a moderator:

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Don't forget, you may fit et10 wheels on if you are not running the stock suspension/perches/spring diameters.

Adjustable coilovers often give you quite a bit more clearance inside the arch. You just need to be aware then that when you are on lock to lock it may catch somewhere else in the arch...

Wheels are a bloody nightmare.

status

Well-Known Forum User
As rob says you can have smaller wheels at the front or have same size all round but just go a size smaller on the front,for example 225-50-16 on rear then 215 or 205-50-16 on the front,buy your tyres separate then you can get a better idea as to how the car sits with a trial fit,remember buy 2 tyres first just to make sure they fit ok on the front,as for suppliers,how much do you have to spend and wot style wheel are you after,check a few Zeds out