Voltage drop when indicators or hazards on

Paul_S

Club Member
On my 240Z I've noticed that when I turn on either my indicators or hazard lights (when the engine is not running) the voltage at the fuse box drops to around 10.5v. Then it recovers to battery voltage. i.e. when the lights are actually on all is OK, but when the flasher can is 'charging' then the voltage drops.

This has a knock-on result of my fuel pump cutting out because there is not sufficient voltage to drive the relay.

When the car is running then the voltage is more constant and not an issue.

I assume this is not normal? I haven't started checking earths, etc. yet but I guess this could be the cause. Or do I need a new flasher can?

Any advice gratefully received! :)

toopy

Club Member
Likely just poor/age related terminal corrosion, and mediocre 70's wiring in general, check the quality of the connections of the fusible links in the engine bay.

Could be the battery is also past its best ;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well, I'll go along with Toopy and I know my old track car was the same i.e. the indicators would only work properly when the engine was running. They were really slow like the wipers. I've said this a few times but one of the biggest improvements that can be made to an early Z is to maintain and upgrade the electrics.

Paul_S

Club Member
Thank you chaps :)

I'll see what I can find to improve things but if it's not that unusual then I know not to be too concerned about it.