Usa 260z

Mark N

Club Member
Not sure why they would fit a 280Z grill and lower front quarter panels. :unsure:
Looks like no expense was spared on satin black paint for the engine bay!

status

Well-Known Forum User
Didn’t know Zeds had leather seats,also it never rains in california,song title there somewhere well got news for this dreamer,watch the news a bit more if you don’t get burnt you get washed away,wot are these jokers on

toopy

Club Member
Never seen Wolfies painted black before, something different from the normal polished look :)

detest the black engine bay tho....just no!!

johnymd

Club Member
This looks nothing like the early LHD 260z I had. Surely this is an early 280z.

Like the black wolfies.

Mark N

Club Member

Like the black wolfies.

I initially thought that too but it's got a few 260Z features:
Mechanical fuel pump (when it would have been easier to swap to a low pressure electric pump).
Vent ducts for the inner wings (where the 280Z induction pipe work would have been).
However, I could be wrong!

richiep

Club Member

Like the black wolfies.

As Sean notes, it's a 1974.5 260Z. The key bit being the ".5". Mid-way through 1974, the spec of the US 260Z changed, becoming much more like the 280Z that shortly superseded it. It gained the much larger impact bumpers, lost the bumper recesses in the rear quarter panels, got 280Z-style front valance and grill-mounted indicators, etc. That's why it's more 280 than your ex-260z Johny. Those earlier ones have more in common with the 1973 US market 240Z, just as the later ones like this are more like the 280Z.

Z-geek lesson ends. :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Ditto - thanks....in a way, similar as 260A pre-'76 models in Europe had differences to post-'76 models.

Stockdale

Club Member
As Sean notes, it's a 1974.5 260Z. The key bit being the ".5". Mid-way through 1974, the spec of the US 260Z changed, becoming much more like the 280Z that shortly superseded it. It gained the much larger impact bumpers, lost the bumper recesses in the rear quarter panels, got 280Z-style front valance and grill-mounted indicators, etc. That's why it's more 280 than your ex-260z Johny. Those earlier ones have more in common with the 1973 US market 240Z, just as the later ones like this are more like the 280Z.

Z-geek lesson ends. :D

Maybe much like those early UK '74 260z's having much in common with the 1973 UK market 240z? Certainly the same floor pans and almost certainly similarly light weight shells.

Geoff-R

Club Member
This is how my early 260z LHD car looked.

I was going to say it didn't look like a 260. Mine looks the same as yours being a 5/74 production car. But not knowing the changes that occured to make it a 74.5 it all makes sense now.