Upgrading Brake and clutch lines

zman240uk

Club Member
Looking into replacing the oem hoses with stainless braided items. The prices for Goodridge items is eye watering (£200 for 6 brake hoses!!!).
Anyone have any experience of using HEL as a brand. They are significantly cheaper!

datsun dave

Club Member
Looking into replacing the oem hoses with stainless braided items. The prices for Goodridge items is eye watering (£200 for 6 brake hoses!!!).
Anyone have any experience of using HEL as a brand. They are significantly cheaper!

I have always used Mr F for my braided lines great quality and price ;).

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I used MrF for my first set, no probs.

I've changed brakes since and either used those with the kit from DJ or made my own up. In fact the front DJ set-up was left one end for me to cut to my preferred length (fittings supplied).

amocrace

Well-Known Forum User
just beware of making up pipes yourself for a road car. VOSA or MOT they're not E marked and hence not road legal!

johnymd

Club Member
That's a very valid point. The time they may check is after you have an accident. You may then find your not insured.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
just beware of making up pipes yourself for a road car. VOSA or MOT they're not E marked and hence not road legal!

Mmm didn't realise that.

So if I make up my own solid brake pipes (which I have done before) are they not legal either?

And so are all kits supplied by folks like DJ illegal?

andrew muir

Club Member
Yep got new brake pipes and Hel braided hoses at last MOT done about 500 miles since with no problems. Made braking more positive and less spongy.

amocrace

Well-Known Forum User
it was an MOT tester that pointed it out to me when he went to check brake flexi's. i think proper Kunifer pipe has a standard printed on the pipe. there are so many anomolys like not being legal to wear 2 of the best crash helmets in the world i.e. Bell or Simpson on the road as they don't get them kite marked. you can of course wear them for an F1 Grand Prix. As i've said before never let common sense get in the way of regulations!

zman240uk

Club Member
Whoops, should have mentioned that these are for a 350Z.
Been doing some reading and it looks like one of the reasons that HEL are so cheap is that they use a banjo bolt to connect the hose to the brembo caliper. Goodridge hoses screw into the caliper and seal as per the oem hose.
I will give Mr F a nudge for some prices.

FWIW i've took 2 cars through IVA which is what all 'new' cars have, both have been on completely braided hoses made by myself, zero test issues. I can't see any advantage except looks over a screw in fixing over a banjo??

zman240uk

Club Member
FWIW i've took 2 cars through IVA which is what all 'new' cars have, both have been on completely braided hoses made by myself, zero test issues. I can't see any advantage except looks over a screw in fixing over a banjo??
Depends on how the oem hose seals onto the caliper. If its a concave/convex face at the bottom of the thread hole then this would give a more reliable and durable seal. If the hose seals onto the outer face of the caliper, then yes I would agree that there is no difference between the two other than looks.