Updating a Z...

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
As I keep edging closer to owning a Z, I need to know what I'm in for :)

So, what needs to be updated on a Z?

Its 70s technology, so no doubt suspension, brakes etc...

What about things like power steering, electric windows etc..?
(I'm mainly talking about updating 240/260z Datsuns)

Can I just swap parts from other cars without much bodging, or are there "kits" or modernised parts I can add?

So many questions... who wants to hold my hand through all of this! :D

Russ

Club Member
Nothing NEEDS updating. An uprated bush kit would be useful as the old ones would be definately shot by now.

I will oneday fit electric windows, although the weight gain is making me think twice. Uprated dampers/springs are obviously useful, and a lot of people uprate the brakes slightly.

Power steering, well driving without it isn't impossible. It depends on if you're going to fit a tiny steering wheel and massive fat wheels :)

The main modernisation I'm up to is removing the lock barrels and fitting a good alarm. And more modern seat belts (harnesses with new seats to take them).

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Replace all rubber, bushes, window seals, replace:restore all brake components, upgrade as your budget allows and your needs (road or track, upgraded engine or not),
power steering is possible, uprated suspension desirable, larger diameter wheels for easier sourcing of tyres -cheaper and more choice) - I think any other upgrades are cosmetic and therefore personal to you !

Electric windows, cruise control, digi dash readouts - why buy a Z ? Go get a ZX !

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
Electric windows, cruise control, digi dash readouts - why buy a Z ? Go get a ZX !
Because they are ugly ugly cars... *runs away from all the zx owners chasing him with lit tourches and pitch forks!* :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Huhmmm, I still haven't seen a nicely proportioned, well-built, rust-free 250 kitted Z !

*runs away in opposite direction chased by frustrated Peugeot owners.......*

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Markp.com said:
Because they are ugly ugly cars... *runs away from all the zx owners chasing him with lit tourches and pitch forks!* :D
Hi,
Join our Club which is for enthusiasts as well as owners!....Then we might just let you slag our cars off!!!
nono.gif

Cheerz,
JEZ

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Yeah, join up ya tight bugger :))))

Central locking on an S30 is fine but a bit tricky (tends to press against the window regulator and make the window angle in or out at the top). Not convinced about 'leccy windows as aftermarket stuff can look cack unless done very well.

Other than that I agree with the chaps above. Nothing NEEDS updating, but you might prefer some bits freshened up a tad.

TL

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Markp.com said:
and waving thier membership cards at you :D also dodging the moths that use a wallet as a home:D

Russ

Club Member
£26 and you'd do that Steve! From what I hear that's a reasonable price, I'll give the hairy lonely guys at work your number. Should we be advertising this as a member benefit? ;)

I don't want to blow any money on my current Z at the moment as I want to buy another long term project. However I have planned aircon along with tinted glass (which you can buy new already tinted) seeing as it's gonna get hotter and hotter and theres always the lure of LeMans and France in the Z where its hotter still.

I also want to fit buckets, the current seats are fine, but probably not excellent for trackdays. And my seatbelts look to me like lap belts (they are in a carboard box in the garage so I couldn't say for sure), and I don't want to pull my spine out from over extension... harnesses for me.

Mark join now! Soon you'll really want to (when the lock down finally happens) and the price is set to rise in the future so right this minute is a really good time lol.

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Hehehe... will you send me the most recent mag if I join now?

I think I'll pass on your holding offer Steve... unless you had really evil parents who named their stunning 19 year old daughter Steve... ;)

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Markp.com said:
Hehehe... will you send me the most recent mag if I join now?

I think I'll pass on your holding offer Steve... unless you had really evil parents who named their stunning 19 year old daughter Steve... ;)
would get latest issue and maybe a back issue if steve kemp is feeling kind
shite is that another moth that I see flying about :rolleyes:

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
TWO MAGS!!! You've got yourself a deal! :)

*opens up wallet*CCCRRREEEEAAAAAAKKKKKKK*goes to pay pal page*