U-joint and other drivertrain parts

bluejon

Club Member
Wll time has come to tighten up my drivetrain vibes and see the back of that railway carriage that seems to follow me around on and off.Had the car up in the air yesterday and this is what we found:

- need tor eplace the rear main U-joint and probably would replace the front one at the same time. I think it is a 75mm unit with 25mm caps, does that sound right? Does anyone know a brand/seller I can source these from. Wondering if a Nissan Navara U-joint is suitable .. 75mm like this one http://www.japanese4x4parts.co.uk/n...front-propshaft-universal-joint-uj-4607-p.asp

- next up we found the gearbox had almost no oil in it :eek:. Well it does now, but there is an O-ring seal to replace on the pinion gear where I get a small drip. Does anyone in the UK have these, similar or compatible to this one: https://zcardepot.com/driveline/tra...ng-and-seal-speedometer-transmission-oem.html

- next need to top up the diff oil, but I'm unsure of type. I have an R200 diff but don't know any other details. I think I'm reading that there are different variants of R200s. Is there somewhere I can look for markings, bolt patterns or other clues?

- and finally we discovered the diff isn't securely bolted down vertically to the rear mount. The bolts that have been used are a fraction too long and butt against the lateral fixing bolt, meaning they cannot fully tighten and are leaving a small gap. More movement; more noise, and an easy fix.

While under there we also found evidence of a fuel drip from the outlet union of the fuel pump. Of course it only drips when the pipe is under pressure so I haven't noticed this. A quick fix there though will help fuel economy :thumbs:. Bonus.

So, making good progress ... a tightened steering rack and having oil in the gearbox already make a difference so things are looking up.

Really appreciate any advice on the U-joints, diff ID/oil and getting the O-ring seal

johnymd

Club Member
I thing the uj's are pretty standard. I walked into my local old school car spares place a couple of years ago when I first broke a prop shaft uj. Told him it was for an old Datsun. He put 3 on the counter, small,medium, and large. The medium size looked about right and it fitted perfect. He said they are pretty universal and there's only 3 common sizes. Is that why they call them universal joints? :).

I use standard 75/90 oil in the diff.