Tyres with squarer edge + wheel nut torque

toopy

Club Member
So, i have some new 16" x 8J wheels and will soon be buying tyres, probably 225 50 or 45 profile, and I prefer tyres with a squarer edge on the tread,
I just think it looks better and im not keen on the more rounded profile/edge that most of the newer tyres seem to have.

Im also not that fussed about ultimate wet weather performance, but would like a tyre that is very good in the dry!

So any recommendations/thoughts appreciated

Also what do people torque their wheel nuts up to? ive always gone for around 100-110Nm

SacCyclone

Club Member
I am running Toyo R888 on the street and track and love them.

Torque conical seat lugs to 80 Ft pounds for track days with no problems. Could probably go down to 70-75 for street only driving.

Mike

datsfun

Club Member
So, i have some new 16" x 8J wheels and will soon be buying tyres, probably 225 50 or 45 profile, and I prefer tyres with a squarer edge on the tread,
I just think it looks better and im not keen on the more rounded profile/edge that most of the newer tyres seem to have.

Im also not that fussed about ultimate wet weather performance, but would like a tyre that is very good in the dry!

So any recommendations/thoughts appreciated

Also what do people torque their wheel nuts up to? ive always gone for around 100-110Nm

What the offset of your wheels? Is your car lowered. Are wheel arches "rolled"?

Once you know that the tyres will not foul against the arch, you can then determine whether it's a 45 or 50 profile.

I find Toyo 888 to have the type of profile you seek. Fantasic in dry. Not bad in wet. Awful in wallet department::(

An idea would be to spend some time at a local tyre retailer and inspect the designs that take your fancy; then research whether they offer grip levels you want.

toopy

Club Member
What the offset of your wheels? Is your car lowered. Are wheel arches "rolled"?

Once you know that the tyres will not foul against the arch, you can then determine whether it's a 45 or 50 profile.

I find Toyo 888 to have the type of profile you seek. Fantasic in dry. Not bad in wet. Awful in wallet department::(

the offset is ET +10 so 10mm further away from the arch than my current wheels which are ET zero,
I currently have 225 60 r14 on the back which are just shy of the arch lip under compression