Tyres 225/50's or 225/55's

Flyer

Active Forum User
For the first time since owning my Z32 I've got to replace the rear set of tyres, I do about 4k per annum, they are 225/55ZR16R's, whereas at the front I've got 225/50ZR16's.

I'm looking to replace with the Falken452's (reading previous threads on this subject) but am not sure what the pros and cons are in replacing with 55's or going for 50's.

Anyone know the answer?:conf2:

What do most people have on the rear's?:S30:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Flyer said:
For the first time since owning my Z32 I've got to replace the rear set of tyres, I do about 4k per annum, they are 225/55ZR16R's, whereas at the front I've got 225/50ZR16's.

I'm looking to replace with the Falken452's (reading previous threads on this subject) but am not sure what the pros and cons are in replacing with 55's or going for 50's.

Anyone know the answer?:conf2:

What do most people have on the rear's?:S30:
225/55-16 are wrong for a Z32. They are too tall.
J spec Z32s come with the same as the fronts. Ie 225/50-16 all round.
UK cars have 245/45-16 on the rear BUT Fitted to a i" wider UK spec rear wheel.
HTH:)

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
As Pete says...Should be 225/50 16's...I've heard that Falkens are very good value tyres too!
A switch to UK spec rear wheels is a useful upgrade for the TT model as you can then fit 245/45's and the wider wheels fill the rear arches more.
I've thought about fitting larger diameter (17,18") wheels to my Z32, but I don't want to spoil the nice ride and the handling is quite ok as it is, on my car.

Flyer

Active Forum User
Thanks for those that have replied. I'm going for Falken 442's 225/50's fitted on the rear. :thumbs:

Cheers :D

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
Err Jez, as someone who did switch from J-spec rears to UK-spec rears to take the supposedly wider tyre, I found that choice in the wider tyre was much more limited and those few choices were much more expensive than the same brand/model 225/50s. And on Bridgestone S03s, the supposedly wider tyre had less tread width than the thinner one. Promise. Pics to prove it are here.

So I binned the "useful upgrade" and went back to J-spec all round which gives me a lot wider choice of cheaper tyres.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
I agree with you regarding the contact patch as I've previously had some Z31 wheels with 245's fitted and there was no difference!....So I removed the worn 245's and replaced them with 225's.
The advantage of the UK rear wheels is that they have a slightly deeper dish design and therefore supposedly fill the rear arches better....but we're only talking a slight difference anyway.
I haven't bothered changing mine and have stuck with J spec too!

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
It's true enough that the wheels are 1" wider (8.5" as opposed to 7.5" rims) and also that the wheels themselves do "dish" slightly outwards where the J-specs dish slightly inwards. But you'd need to be a fully paid-up member of the Wheel Police to notice!

I was completely convinced by the "everyone says" UKs are better so was happy to change. But the handling was no different (at the speeds I drive, anyway) and since the tyres were a lot extra for no benefit and no extra tread, I muttered "the Emperor's got new clothes" and went back to J-spec all round :D