Twin throttle bodies?

johnymd

Club Member
Has anyone considered or fitted a pair of throttle bodies that are bolt on replacements for the twin su's? I noticed they are available and used on MG's/Triumph's.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
71 views and no coments?

I am one of the silent viewers earlier.
I have no comment to make.
Thats a safe option which means that Sean cant arrive in his usual aggressive and confrontational manner to dispute and argue about what I said

In fact Im going back now to my silent world of viewing............................................... before the attack begins.;)

candy red

Club Member
I also viewed earlier and didn't comment as not experienced to give you any advice on what you might be planning to do John ;)

Surely you use to lack of comments and lots of views thats what happens on here :roll eyes:unless you put pics of retro shoes or spiderman socks :lol::devil:

Good luck John maybe someone who can answer your question and can use there keyboard will help.

Derrick ;)

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
I had a look at the site "mginfo.co.uk" where there is a discussion and they seem to think that while it improves cold start and emission control, that the Bolt on SU replacement option didn't provide any (significant, my word) performance enhancement. However, I'm not knowledgeable enough to confirm if that is correct.

What do you reckon, John?

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
im still very new to the world of z but i think there is a kit by weber for two 32/36 dgv carbs and a manifold.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Carb-...260Z-1969-1974-/331121268225?fits=Make:Nissan
however i have no idea how much better/worse this kit would be over the SUs.
i believe providing you have a mint set of SUs that the SU carb is quite superior over most carbs because it will only deliver as much fuel as is required for the amount of air going into the engine making them more fuel effecient and very popular carbs.
plus i find their simple design easy to take apart and clean and setup.
the webers are incredibly fussy carbs to setup after a strip to clean.

i put a weber 32/34 on my vw instead of the origenal pierbug carb and found it more fun to dirve but not so good on fuel. i also have flat spots in the throttle that is typical of this style of weber, which you wouldnt get from SUs.
but my old carb was knackered so the weber was cheaper than fixing my old carb.

johnymd

Club Member
I like the idea of mapped ignition and fueling but for most people who just want turn key motoring with good fuel economy, individual throttle bodies may be too expensive a route to take. So, just replacing your su's with bolt on throttle bodies like the ones Matt has linked to looks like a reasonable upgrade. Add to this an EDIS ignition setup with crank trigger wheel and a megasquirt ECU and you have a home tunable setup for not a lot of money. An AFR gauge with some data logging and you should be able, over time, to get a pretty good setup.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I will refer the right honourable gentleman to my previous answer "injector triggering would be interesting" which prompted no reply.

Along with charge sharing, bleed and overlap which on a 4 cylinder is known to be problematic so by extrapolation ...... 3 cylinders sharing 1 injector/port should be more tricky to overcome, that’s not to say it can't be done because it can, however just because you can doesn’t mean you should.