Track-day tyres | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

Track-day tyres

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by SeanDezart, Aug 13, 2017.

1. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Semi-slicks more specifically !

What are today's choices, your preferences (and why) ?

2. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

I use R888-R.

Seam to grip well but don't have anything to compare and I'm not even sure I have the ability to tell the difference even if I did have a choice. I previously went through several sets of R888's. Couldn't tell you if these are better or not.

Price is reasonable at around £180 each and they do generally last the year of around 6000 miles and about 4-5 track days.

3. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

4. ben240z

ben240z
    Z Club Member

Grip costs money Sean. If you have not found the limits of the R888R then buy something cheaper. If you have found those limits then PAY the money and stay on the track. Body/chassis repairs are expensive

5. ben240z

ben240z
    Z Club Member

The avon slicks we use are £380 each but I would not run on anything else now

6. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Totally agreed but grip and limited tyre wear cost more than grip and quick tyre wear.

Seeing as I won't need nearly as many track-days as John, I'm looking for a more cost effective annual tyre budget.

Full slicks are out as my car wasn't conceived to handle the body stresses they'll create - I need a bit of 'slip and drift'.:p

7. franky

franky
    Z Club Member

The federal rsr 595's are good. Had those on a few toy cars.

8. ben240z

ben240z
    Z Club Member

Seem to be a fair amount of part worn R888R at reasonable money being advertised

9. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

I'm having trouble finding something in 15" !

10. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

The question is why ? People upgrading to other makes ?

11. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

I have bought second hand in the past and would not again. Tyres don't work well when they are old and IMO the ones you see for sale are for sale because they are getting old. I wouldn't you a tyre that's more than 2 years from its date stamp. It will not be as good as a new tyre.

Mine are getting near the end of their life so will probably look for an alternative and change the wheel size if I need to.

12. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

I will also need a set of track tyres for the silver car soon and not settled on wheel size so will pick a tyre before the wheel.

13. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Where I am ! :D

For the road, I have 225/50x15s but for the track......?

14. franky

franky
    Z Club Member

consider yourselves lucky that you're not chasing 14" tyres!

15. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Membership Secretary Staff Member Committee Member

If you are competing spend the money and buy the best.

If it's for trackdays buy the bargains, enjoy the day and as long as they are trackday tyres e.g. Yoko A048 etc they will not let you down.

At least 2/3 of my tyres over 10 years were secondhand and as long as it was dry they were great. If it's wet then you need the tread-depth, damp and you will be fine. If you have spare sets of wheels (I had 25 at one time) you can juggle to suit the weather.

I wouldn't buy secondhand tyres for my road car.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2017
  16. ben240z

ben240z
    Z Club Member

Because they have been removed from the list of tyres allowed by the MSA for roadgoing use and so are up for sale as people buy new sets

Try to find some Yoko A008R tyres. They are good

17. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

What about Nankang NS-2Rs ? (not in 14s though).

18. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

But it's only on the tracks that the cars (and us) are pushed to their limits....and beyond !

19. franky

franky
    Z Club Member

I think the ns2 is what i'm going to run on the wider road wheels, I'm after a slightly narrower set of 14's for track stuff.

20. ben240z

ben240z
    Z Club Member

Look at the list of tyres that were in the List 1A in the blue book for road going classes. They have been removed for a reason. They are the ones I would be looking at for trackday tyres