[SOLVED] Timing (that old chestnut) and the 12-80 dizzy.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Been thinking about this for a while now as I get very high under hood temperatures and quite a lot of fun popping on the overrun.

So I thought I'd have a play and see if the timing makes much difference.

There is a white mark at 10 degrees on my pulley ruler thingy whose name I have a metal blank on right now.

But the FSM says 17 degrees. Given that since Fourways rebuilt the head I'm down on compression (160ish psi consistent across all 6) and having some cold starting problems, I thought I would advance a bit beyond 10 degrees.

But my 280zx 12-80 dizzy is maxed out and all I can achieve is 12 degrees at idle and about 30 degrees all in at 3k rpm (no vac connected).

So two questions:

1. Will advancing help reduce popping and engine bay temps?

2. This bolt is maxed out so is there a trick to getting more advance another way or do I just widen the opening?

0ca4a355ed5dfa5618b6d9746e69c1a0.jpg

Ok I lied, question 3: I also noticed some movement in the shaft - is this normal or have I got a worn "restored" dizzy that needs a proper restoration?

http://youtu.be/ljXLJMghpXE

Do your worst guys - hit me!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
0. You've got a bonnet. Not a hood.
1. No
2. That bolt adjusts the dizzy & plate on the mount. There's another slotted thing with a bolt on the other side of the dizzy where you can adjust it relative to the plate. (Might need to take the dizzy out to get at it)
3. I think thats ok. Does it run ok?

Popping on overrun is ok. It just goes lean when you close the throttle.

High temp: how high? 60 + isn't unusual. Do you have problems from it?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks JB.

0. You crack me up - yes, indeed! Been reading too many US forums.

1. That's a shame; having added an extra 2 degrees has made the car noticeably smoother / responsive. So keen to experiment and see how another x degrees changes things.

2. Thanks. I did loosen off the other bolt but nothing moved so per your thoughts, will have to take it out and free it off.

3. Great to know. Never sure how it's supposed to be. Yes runs great.

High temps: not got a temp sensor there but, the paint has melted / been affected by where the bottom of the manifold goes into 2 a couple of inches from the body work, near the compression rod bushes.

Also, if I idle for more than 5 mins on a hot day she gets very upset and misfires until cooled off. (Bit like my wife). I suspected fuel vaporisation but I'm leaning towards mech fuel pump somehow being affected by the heat.

The temp gauge at that point is just at 05:45, but do I trust it?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnymd

Club Member
This is just my opinion of how I see the importance of ignition timing. It is all from memory so I'm happy for people to correct me as my memory has never been that good.

If your ignition timing is too advanced. Firstly you are trying to push the piston back down the cylinder before its near the top so not only are you wasting that energy, you are also putting all that energy/heat through the crank and into the engine. Too advanced and you will hear knock.

Too retarded and the energy/heat from the burn will occur too late in the cycle and come out of the exhaust. This is why an exhaust gas temperature gauge can really help to get the timing right.

You are trying to place the spark in just the right place in time to make use of as much of the combustion energy as possible. People generally talk about all in advance of 34deg being about right for an l-series performance engine and I would tend to agree with this but there are other factors to consider that will effect the ideal timing for your engine. For example: chamber design, compression ratio, fuel octane rating, and many more. A lot of these will influence the speed of burn. With a slower burn you will need to ignite the spark earlier in order for most of the energy to be used to turn the crank. Create a faster burn and you need to retard the ignition to achieve the same.

That's about all I have time to write about the subject at the moment and although it may not have answered your question, I hope it has given you a bit of information to allow you to make a more educated decision. I have tried to very much simplify the explanations above in order to not complicate the subject and confuse people even more. It is a complicated subject but I'm a great believer in trying to explain things in simple terms to give people an understanding of it rather than just try to confuse.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yeah, poor running in traffic is a common prob. I think it's exacerbated by posh exhaust manifolds.
I think the prob is mainly the intake air density, but fuel vaporisation may have a part.
For me it was solved with the pmac/mrf airbox and taking air from in front of the rad.
Also a heatshield between exhaust mani and carbs helps with the fuel boiling.

toopy

Club Member
As you know Im a timing virgin, so can't help there, but, a few other things maybe

1. Could the insulation on one or more HT leads be breaking down as under bonnet temps rise in traffic

2. Is there sufficient fuel return through the restrictor on the end of the fuel rail

3. Viscous fan, is it definitely working 100% at idle

Mr.F

Inactive
If you can't get the required advance from the distributor then I would suggest a "back to basics" check on cam / crank / oil pump installation. The "How to Rebuild..." book has (IMO) the best account with real pictures of what you should see when distributor out and engine at TDC on ~1 cylinder.
The problem of "that'll do" installations and "swap the leads around by one position" is much more common that you may imagine...
If not to the book, then timing will never be right, although I appreciate that changes are often made to accommodate high lift cams (particularly regrinds).

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Yeah, poor running in traffic is a common prob. I think it's exacerbated by posh exhaust manifolds.
I think the prob is mainly the intake air density, but fuel vaporisation may have a part.
For me it was solved with the pmac/mrf airbox and taking air from in front of the rad.
Also a heatshield between exhaust mani and carbs helps with the fuel boiling.

I do have a Janspeed manifold so that plays to that logic. Also I do have a cold air intake from the front of the rad and off the side but on the standard 240z airbox so undoubtedly nowhere near as effective as a PMAC/MRF set up. Defo need to look into the heat shield thing as the carbs are too warm to the touch for my liking and I worry rubber bits are being over stressed.

If you can't get the required advance from the distributor then I would suggest a "back to basics" check on cam / crank / oil pump installation. The "How to Rebuild..." book has (IMO) the best account with real pictures of what you should see when distributor out and engine at TDC on ~1 cylinder.
The problem of "that'll do" installations and "swap the leads around by one position" is much more common that you may imagine...
If not to the book, then timing will never be right, although I appreciate that changes are often made to accommodate high lift cams (particularly regrinds).

Now that is an interesting trick that hadn't occurred to me (re. Swapping leads). This is great advice Mike, and I do have that book by the bed! ;) I will try the dizzy again first before going back to basics.

This is just my opinion of how I see the importance of ignition timing. It is all from memory so I'm happy for people to correct me as my memory has never been that good.

If your ignition timing is too advanced. Firstly you are trying to push the piston back down the cylinder before its near the top so not only are you wasting that energy, you are also putting all that energy/heat through the crank and into the engine. Too advanced and you will hear knock.

Too retarded and the energy/heat from the burn will occur too late in the cycle and come out of the exhaust. This is why an exhaust gas temperature gauge can really help to get the timing right.

You are trying to place the spark in just the right place in time to make use of as much of the combustion energy as possible. People generally talk about all in advance of 34deg being about right for an l-series performance engine and I would tend to agree with this but there are other factors to consider that will effect the ideal timing for your engine. For example: chamber design, compression ratio, fuel octane rating, and many more. A lot of these will influence the speed of burn. With a slower burn you will need to ignite the spark earlier in order for most of the energy to be used to turn the crank. Create a faster burn and you need to retard the ignition to achieve the same.

That's about all I have time to write about the subject at the moment and although it may not have answered your question, I hope it has given you a bit of information to allow you to make a more educated decision. I have tried to very much simplify the explanations above in order to not complicate the subject and confuse people even more. It is a complicated subject but I'm a great believer in trying to explain things in simple terms to give people an understanding of it rather than just try to confuse.

Excellent explanation, thanks for taking the time to type all that Johny!! I followed a similar logic in suspecting the timing being the heat culprit as I figured I'm getting half the burn in the exhaust rather than the combustion part of the cycle. Especially with my lowish compression readings.

Liking the exhaust temp idea. At my last MOT, the guys finished the test and said: right, let's put that sensor back into the exhaust and set up your carbs properly. They spent a good 30 mins with me tinkering with the car and giving me readings until we got it bob on! (She was running rich to start with). It was the emissions sensor thing they put up the exhaust pipe.

As you know Im a timing virgin, so can't help there, but, a few other things maybe

1. Could the insulation on one or more HT leads be breaking down as under bonnet temps rise in traffic

2. Is there sufficient fuel return through the restrictor on the end of the fuel rail

3. Viscous fan, is it definitely working 100% at idle

1. I have the Magnecore KV85 racing leads. The car did the same with the old leads (first thing I replaced after overheating at the Blackwall tunnel and causing a 2 mile tail back on my second week of Z ownership! ;) so I think they are OK

2. Good question, not too sure. But interestingly at the weekend I noticed that my see through fuel filter was only two thirds full at idle and bubbles were travelling towards my carbs!!! So I do wonder if the mech pump has seen too much action and what feels like a misfire is in fact fuel starvation!

3. Great point - had similar doubts but difficult to know as it has a fair bit of resistance and I have nothing to compare it with.

toopy

Club Member
2. Good question, not too sure. But interestingly at the weekend I noticed that my see through fuel filter was only two thirds full at idle and bubbles were travelling towards my carbs!!! So I do wonder if the mech pump has seen too much action and what feels like a misfire is in fact fuel starvation!

I think thats pretty normal, mine always has air visible in it, as its at a slight angle, not vertical like the OEM one on the inner wing. You could try running the engine with the fuel rail outlet feeding into a jar/container and see if 1. it's actually flowing ok and 2. if you can see air in it

3. Great point - had similar doubts but difficult to know as it has a fair bit of resistance and I have nothing to compare it with.

Ahh, the time honoured practice of using your hand wrapped in cloth/old tshirt to try and slow/stop the fan spinning... or not if its' working correctly and just abusing your hand for the fun of it!

Farmer42

Club Member
I think that not having a heatshield does make a lot of difference to the fuel into the carbs especially if your exhaust manifold gets extremely hot.

I had an old Triumph Dolomite with twin SUs and the same set up as the Z a few years back and the heatshield was missing. It ran ok when it was cold but as soon as it got hot it started popping & misfiring to the point that it stalled & wouldn't start until it cooled. The bottom of the carbs were getting very hot from the heat off the manifold After talking to a few people, I found out that extreme heat will do one of 2 things to fuel in a carb:

i. It will evaporate it and you get fuel starvation or pre-ignition
ii. The jet assembly will expand and allow too much fuel through so it will flood and try to stall. This is what happened to the Dolly and the jet physically dropped by over 1mm.

Fabricated a heatshield and this cured the problem.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Toopy - have done that, got the bruises and can't stop it!

Paul - very interesting. That's practically what happens: I get what feels like misfire / detonation, nearly stalling and next to zero power and then there is a very strong smell of fuel as if it's leaking out (which is a worry given the carbs sit above the red hot manifold)!

I will have to fabricate a heat shield.

I have been tempted by wrapping the header / exhaust but I've read it reduces the life of the manifold / exhaust. :unsure:

Farmer42

Club Member
Shame, I have just promised my spare to someone else.

They bolt onto the inlet manifold in 4 places under the carb bodies. Perhaps someone else will have a spare & I have seen them for sale in the States but they are a bit pricey. If you are Fabricating a shield yourself out of some sheet metal you will need to make sure you have the tabs for the throttle return spring.

I have attached a pic of what one looks like.

Attachments

• 20170512_194545.jpg
    20170512_194545.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Update: I took the dizzy off and loosened the other bolt on the other side of the plate you have to get to from below. I had to get all agricultural on it and use a hammer to get the blessed thing to move but once loosened off I managed to put it in it's max position.

Now I can achieve 38 degrees all in (no shake'n'vac).

So I took the timing light and a screw driver and went off to the local dual carriageway to experiment with under 34 degrees and over to see the difference. At 38 degs I didn't hear pinking or knocking but did notice a small drop in low end torque. At 30 degs (3500RPM) the car felt good.

I finally settled on the trusted 34 degs all in and found she sits nicely at 17 degs at idle now (used to be 10). The car is noticeably quieter all round and keener at the top end. I still get the satisfying pops but they too are quieter and less frequent.

My theory is that previously the burn wasn't complete by the time the exhaust valves opened and was finishing the burning in the manifold instead.

Would be interesting to see if my cold start issues are resolved and the high under "bonnet" temperatures ;)

Additionally I found one of my two coolant leaks - are these 90 degree hoses still available? Or will any non Nissan 90 degree elbow do? The hose I had spare doesn't like the bend and pinches in the middle, but I gather this hose is purely to keep the carbs from icing and not really an issue for me, though I would like to have it right.

555fa214e3cc2e38e7bc42d2ee0cf1e0.jpg

c61ba71a78f673ab3c87411326542854.jpg

The other one is right by the water pump - I have a pump and gasket ready to go but that is a job for another weekend.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Update: took her out to a lunch today involving stop start M25 and London driving on a t-shirt and shorts warm day. She now idles just fine in traffic and the carbs were cool to the touch when I arrived at Ealing, despite traffic. The under bonnet temps arbitrarily feel much cooler too.

Overheating problems seem to have been solved - now for a really hot day to stress test.

Cold start to this AM not a problem at all and much less cranking. From 30 secs to about 2-5 secs.

Thanks for all your inputs fellas :thumbs: