Timing 280ZX

Huw

Club Member
Hi

Can anyone tell me what I should be advancing/retarding the timing on a 280ZX engine to run on unleaded?

Going to try to start the engine this coming weekend after rebuilding it. Only one issue, last time this run was when leaded petrol was available.

Cheers

Huw

Huw

Club Member
Hi Andy

It's a manual 79. Book says 10 degrees BTDC. But I'm assuming I will need to advance or probably retard a bit more for unleaded running. How much is the question.

Huw

AndyMinto

Inactive
Huw,
The 1983 owners manual recommends unleaded (91 RON). I am pretty sure they were all designed to run on unleaded fuel.

AndyMinto

Inactive
Huw,
I have just found the owners manual from my original 1979 280ZX. It also says "Use a proper grade gasoline of 91 octane (RON).".
I can scan the little book if it is of any use? It is the one that was originally in the glove box with each new car.

Mr.F

Inactive
the owners manual from ... 280ZX
I have several available in varying condition -
2 with print date 1979
1 with print date 1981
2 with print date 1987
1 undated, blue cover - poor condition but probably original 1978 issue.

racer

Club Member
As per the book Huw. It's the octane that's important not Leaded or unleaded.
Just use Super unleaded and it will be fine.

iandecjak

Club Member
I have the same model and have always followed manual recommendations for timing set up as I was told they were designed to run on 91 Ron and valve seats were ok for normal unleaded, no need for super unleaded.

Huw

Club Member
Cheers one and all, that's put my mind at rest. Thanks for the offer Andy and Mike. Got a copy coming to me.

Thanks again

Huw

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
I can remember putting 3 star petrol in my 280zx back in the '80's!..It said it was ok in the handbook back then.