This can't be right - Can it?

richiep

Club Member
There weren't any 240Zs built in 1974. That's a load of old bollox. The 260Z had definitely replaced it in late 73. A very few 240Zs didn't get UK registered until 74 for various reasons, accounting for those with later regs. zNathan on this forum for example has one on a 74 reg but it's a 73-built car.

Paul Henley

Club Member
So is it known how many rhd 240z's were registered in the UK in 74?, could that answer be 7 and is it known how many still exist?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
So is it known how many rhd 240z's were registered in the UK in 74?, could that answer be 7 and is it known how many still exist?

DVLA might be able to confirm, but isn't it kind of a non-issue? The seller's premise that the car was built in 1974 is mistaken, and the car was certainly built well before the end of 1973. I can't see that there's all that much cachet in it being registered in 1974, and in any case how would you prove it was "one of just seven" or whatever?

With these cars, it is build date that counts. UK registration is a moveable feast anyway, but with shipping from Japan to UK taking so long in those days, and sluggish sales due to the Oil Crisis, there were instances of cars being long unsold and therefore registered very late when they were eventually sold.

Early registration might help prove and/or reinforce build date, but surely late registration has the opposite effect?

Paul Henley

Club Member
My main interest on this topic doesn't relate to this car in particular, I was more interested the statement of "rarity" of a 74 240z. My 240 is also a 74 registered car (2/5/74) so I was interested if it was "one of the 7", but I think it is now established that Richiep has stated "That's a load of old bollox" :D