Thermostat housing sheared bolt!

toopy

Club Member
wanted to replace the thermostat as when on the move the temp drops too much

however the dreaded sheared bolt has temporarily stoppped play :unsure:

Ive never had to drill out a bolt before, so any pointers before i give it a go?

I assume if your very careful, you can weedle out the last remnents of the bolt without having to re-tap the hole?

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Trying to drill a steel bolt shank out of a soft low grade 40 year old housing is possible but extremely difficult.
Without doubt you will need to "helicoil " the hole if you are successful.
If you arnt successful then there are people who will sell you a new (used) housing;)

toopy

Club Member
Trying to drill a steel bolt shank out of a soft low grade 40 year old housing is possible but extremely difficult.
Without doubt you will need to "helicoil " the hole if you are successful.
If you arnt successful then there are people who will sell you a new (used) housing;)

Not what i wanted to hear, but was kinda expecting someone to say just that :devil:

I think to be honest i really didnt want the hassle of trying to do it, which leads me to enquire as to what
you have as a possible replacement in your many boxes of bits?

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Well I know what route Burnsie would have gone done if he ever got the urge to be mechanical
He would have been on the phone to get one straight away from that guy from around Nottingham

toopy

Club Member
Actually while your looking for a thermostat housing:D

have you got a decent engine block inlet stub? as mine is pretty corroded

also:rofl: the Y ish shaped pipe connector that bolts to the block above the starter motor, as not surprisingly
mine is pretty naff

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Not what i wanted to hear, but was kinda expecting someone to say just that :devil:

I think to be honest i really didnt want the hassle of trying to do it, which leads me to enquire as to what
you have as a possible replacement in your many boxes of bits?

email me a picture of your existing set up. There are variations throughout the range of S30s.
You might be quite shocked now Anthony if you came to visit me to see how many boxes I havent got in comparison to the good years of breaking and selling.
I am currently emptying boxes at Laurences workshop too in preparation for a move to much smaller premises

Pete, would a spark eroder do it?
Dunno mate.
I havent got one in my workshop.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
I will try and get time tomorro but I also need to get my slicktop ready for the Nissan event at Donington.
I have seen your growing list BTW;)

Just to reassure you I have finally found all the parts you asked for.
Details by Email ASAP.
I am at a point where work is almost swamping me.
At this rate there will not be any/many boxes at all by the end of 2015.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Pictures here. Choice available.
I dont have any "plain ones" without extra holes. They are from 240Zs and what I had is long gone.
The silver colour housing has been powdercoated the bung is painted as I have just done that.
Email to discuss/select what you need/want
I see former member Samuri 240 (Gwyn) has listed one on Ebay too.
What a coincidence;)

Attachments

• DSCF5289.JPG
    DSCF5289.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF5290.JPG
    DSCF5290.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF5291.JPG
    DSCF5291.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 25

toopy

Club Member
Pictures here. Choice available.
I dont have any "plain ones" without extra holes. They are from 240Zs and what I had is long gone.
The silver colour housing has been powdercoated the bung is painted as I have just done that.
Email to discuss/select what you need/want

Email sent :)

I see former member Samuri 240 (Gwyn) has listed one on Ebay too.
What a coincidence;)

Yeh, i had seen that, wasnt keen on the studs and nuts arrangment though for the top cover,
prefer the bolt look and didnt fancy trying to remove the studs!

and besides i would'nt of bought anything until i'd heard from you seeing as you've taken
the time to rummage around for the parts :thumbs:

toopy

Club Member
Just wanted to say 'Muchas Gracias' to Pete, for sorting the very good condition parts i needed :bow:

I was intending on painting the inlet stub, but it's in such good nik, ive polished it instead :thumbs:
not exactly perfect with my drill driven polishing kit, but im not into mirror finish either.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Just wanted to say 'Muchas Gracias' to Pete, for sorting the very good condition parts i needed :bow:

I was intending on painting the inlet stub, but it's in such good nik, ive polished it instead :thumbs:
not exactly perfect with my drill driven polishing kit, but im not into mirror finish either.

So that will be another happy customer.;)
Thanks for the positive feedback and 5 star rating.:D