That 400 cubic inch 240Z

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This car has been for sale for a while and we discused it on here about a year ago I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331695437033?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Anyway the price has gradually come down from I think £23k to £16 or Offer.

I gather it's a very well built car, cost a lot of money but it's got an unusual (not very sporty) engine installed. I bet it cruises well.

Anyway besides bringing it 'up to the top' again I was wondering if the air intake would be very effective. From the pictures it appears that the car can only draw air from the reward facing opening under the modified bonnet bulge. I understand that that is a low pressure area so when 'giving it some' is that 400 ci motor going to get enough air?

I'm not criticising the car at all just try to understand the configuration.

johnymd

Club Member
As previously mentioned, I had a good look over the car several years ago when the owners took it to the halfway house meeting. Nice guys and into classics but I think this was their first Z. Not sure if they are still the owners or not. The car looked pretty solid but I'm guessing its had a full build since then if its now a very well built car. Not saying it was a badly built car just that the engine mounts could do with a bit more thought and that didn't inspire me with confidence about the build. Anyway, I guess it has been rebuilt by the current owner.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Limited appeal like LHD over here but got to be worth the money,seems some of the Zeds for sale for round the 20k mark are still for sale,are there not the people out there looking for a decent Zed

Mr.F

Inactive
air intake efficiency
Cowl induction is common on American muscle cars and rear facing scoops were offered regularly on the aftermarket.
The base of the windscreen is a high pressure are on many cars, but IMO the intake needs to extend back onto the cowl area. The rear of the bonnet might just be a bit too far forward.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Cowl induction is common on American muscle cars and rear facing scoops were offered regularly on the aftermarket.
The base of the windscreen is a high pressure are on many cars, but IMO the intake needs to extend back onto the cowl area. The rear of the bonnet might just be a bit too far forward.

Thanks Mike.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Rob

Book a test drive and stick some tufts of wool behind the opening and you'll get your answer ;)

johnymd

Club Member
Looking at the pictures, it may well have had a bit of work since I saw it a I don't remember it being that nice under the bonnet.