Sunday Drive South Wales

Huw

Club Member
I'm planning a little Sunday tootle around South Wales in the ZX this weekend - weather dependent.

I was thinking from Bristol across the old Severn Crossing to Chepstow. Then the A466 to Monmouth up the Wye Valley. From Monmouth to Abergavenny on the A40 to end up at Brecon. From there down to Merthyr Tydfil on the A470, nice road passed some reservoirs. Then along the new Heads of the Valley road back to Abergavenny (A465) and back down the A40 to Raglan (maybe pop in to the castle for a photo). Down the A449 to the M4 Junction and back over the new bridge to Bristol.

Its about a 4 hour round trip of about 160 miles. Probably stop off for lunch at Llanhamlach, which I'm told The Old Ford Inn there is nice.

I have zero sense of direction so getting lost is almost a given.

If anyone wants to join in, you are more than welcome. I aim to leave Bristol around 10ish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Farmer42

Club Member
Sounds good Huw

Would suggest meeting up at Chepstow then have some sort of convoy to Monmouth.

How about meeting in the Tesco car park in Chepstow at 11am?

Wyn

Club Member
Weather permitting could be up for this !
Would make a change to get out for a blast

atomman

Club Member
If only mine was finished , I would come to and show you some cracking roads ,
Next time

Gary

Huw

Club Member
Great stuff Wyn. Look forward to seeing you.

If only mine was finished , I would come to and show you some cracking roads ,
Next time

Gary

No worries Gary. When your cars done you can give us a tour. Any suggestions for roads in the meantime?

Cheers

Huw

Geoff-R

Club Member
If only my car was road registered, have fun gents :thumbs: there are some lovely roads out towards Brecon.

atomman

Club Member
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/U...8c59c!2m2!1d-3.705678!2d51.801738!1m0!1m0!3e0

Here's a few of my favourites, the mountain road over Brynamman is great and some fast roads up past the Crai reservoir, the road up and over from Pendryn is also good some great views , and you could always stop in the brewery for some whisky to, the run from Brecon to Builth Wells is great to but its easy to miss the turn up past the church at the start in Brecon, we use a few of these road on our Piston heads run each year,

Hope that helps with some more roads , let me know how it goes and some photos would be great for the calander ?

Next time my car will be on the road and i will come to :driving:

Regards

Gary

atomman

Club Member
If you have ever watched Top Gear or and Chris Harris videos on You tube you will recognise some of them to

Farmer42

Club Member
Looks a nice route but I might get a nose bleed that far away from Bristol. Bit too far to do in an afternoon.

If you want a stunning drive, we went up to North Wales via the Llyn Clywedog reservoir & dam a couple of years back. The roads around there are fantastic and the scenery is breathtaking. I have attached a couple of pics to give a flavour.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15

Huw

Club Member
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/U...8c59c!2m2!1d-3.705678!2d51.801738!1m0!1m0!3e0

Here's a few of my favourites, the mountain road over Brynamman is great and some fast roads up past the Crai reservoir, the road up and over from Pendryn is also good some great views , and you could always stop in the brewery for some whisky to, the run from Brecon to Builth Wells is great to but its easy to miss the turn up past the church at the start in Brecon, we use a few of these road on our Piston heads run each year,

Hope that helps with some more roads , let me know how it goes and some photos would be great for the calander ?

Next time my car will be on the road and i will come to :driving:

Regards

Gary

I know the Pendryn distillery very well, my favourite tipple! Thanks for those tips Gary. Going to stick with the original plan this time, but would like to do the Builth Wells route on the next run maybe?

Cheers

Huw

Huw

Club Member
Brilliant day out today, the weather was excellent and the scenery wonderful. Good to meet up with Paul again and to meet Wyn and Sam for the first time today. Also finally to see Wyns monster car in the steel, what a machine and what a sound track to the trip. I was at the back and the exhaust note from Wyns car was fantastic especially in the tunnel outside Monmouth!!

Will be doing this again and further into North Wales next year, would be good to see a few more Z's.
We did want to stop in the Beacons and get a photo of the stunning scenery but the place was crawling with bikers for some reason and there was no room in any of the scenic lay-bys along the A470. A few gremlins did try to dampen the day, my accelerator linkage started to get 'sticky' toward the end of day, Wyns indicators had a mind of their own and Paul lost an argument with a fence and damaged the bonnet on his car. But I think we all had a good day, I certainly had a blast and loved every minute driving the ZX.

A few photos of the day to prove the sun does shine in Gods own country.

Start at Chepstow Tesco.

Llangors Lake

Tintern Abbey

candy red

Club Member
Great pics Huw glad you all had good weather ,Huw looking at the pics you do need to practice your parking you will get a ticket for parking in 2 bays and parking diagonally across bays :lol::lol::lol:;)

Glad none of you had any major issues apart from keeping up with Wyn in his monster :devil:

Derrick ;):thumbs:

Wyn

Club Member
Yes was a good day out for us :thumbs:
Huw and Paul knew the area so we just had to stay close
Both Huw's 280zx (watch out Derrick) and Pauls 260 cars looked the part
What with mine we had a right blast from the past going up and around those mountainous areas

Weather held out and the roads flowed without too many sheep in site :D

Deffo need to do it again :thumbs:

candy red

Club Member
Yes was a good day out for us :thumbs:
Huw and Paul knew the area so we just had to stay close
Both Huw's 280zx (watch out Derrick) and Pauls 260 cars looked the part
What with mine we had a right blast from the past going up and around those mountainous areas

Weather held out and the roads flowed without too many sheep in site :D

Deffo need to do it again :thumbs:

Yes Wyn I've seen Huws car many time its a stunner much better than mine :bow:

Wyn

Club Member
Few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_7914.JPG
    IMG_7914.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7918.JPG
    IMG_7918.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 21

Wyn

Club Member
again ..

Attachments

• IMG_7919.JPG
    IMG_7919.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7923.JPG
    IMG_7923.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7927.JPG
    IMG_7927.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 20

Wyn

Club Member
I was at the back and the exhaust note from Wyns car was fantastic especially in the tunnel outside Monmouth!!

Sorry couldn't resist when I saw that tunnel approach :D
Luckily for my licence the mrs was about and in my ear every time I hit the gas, else it would have been a whole lot noisier :devil:

Yes Wyn I've seen Huws car many time its a stunner much better than mine :bow:

We could compare notes ... when you bring yours next time :thumbs:

atomman

Club Member
Glad you enjoyed ! and the sun shone for you,

There are some great roads round there, the bikers are always around some weekends more than others though,