strut inserts - database

DocS30

Well-Known Forum User
Hi guys,

I've gone through the entire gabriel catalogue and identified all the strut inserts that are of the correct style to fit inside our strut bodies. I've also got all the cross referenced part numbers for KYB and Monroe.

Only thing missing is the lengths. It would be great if someone with access to more data or physical struts can chip in with that info.

This may be usefull to get the correct amount of travel depending on how low you are planning to go, your tyre size etc.

I have the Excel version available to anyone who wants it.

strutts.png

johnymd

Club Member
You could add the toyota MR2 to this list. The lengths are the second important requirement.

DocS30

Well-Known Forum User
You could add the toyota MR2 to this list. The lengths are the second important requirement.

yup unfortunately the catalogues I had didn't list the lengths (or the MR2 for that matter - was a local catalogue) Hopefully we can all chip in with that info.

atomman

Club Member
There are a few others you can add to that list,

The lengths are important but also you could do with information on - rebound/bump force data, Car weight and foot valve design to see if they are compatible with our car's

Last edited by a moderator:

johnymd

Club Member
Whats the most common alternative for a sectioned strut? and whats the normal length to shorten it by?

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Whats the most common alternative for a sectioned strut? and whats the normal length to shorten it by?

Until Tokico had their distribution problems I think the most common thing to do was use the BZ/HZ3015 front 240z shock in the rear strut(sectioned by ~45mm), and the BZ/HZ3099 AW11 rear shock in the front (sectioned by ~40mm).

Some people use Koni 8610-1437s instead, superior shocks to the Tokicos but they are a super tight fit in the strut so you have to make sure you welded the sectioned strut back together dead straight otherwise you're screwed.

Some people use VW golf shocks because they're really short and let you dump the car on the ground.

I did have some info on Bilsteins but it's gone walkies

Last edited by a moderator:

DocS30

Well-Known Forum User
Correct me if I'm wrong but the s130 doesn't have a rear strut body with an insert at all. Its just a regular complete shock absorber.

I was just going to replace it with a shorter (similar) one and add coil over sleeves to it instead of the spring perch it comes with stock.