Steering wheel vibration?

JK240

Club Member
I wondered if anyone could give me any clues with this...?

My steering wheel vibrates quite badly at between 60 and 70 miles an hour, upto this its fine. I had the wheels balanced a few weeks ago which did seem to improve it slightly and I have just had new steering rack bushes fitted which makes the steering much more positive at speeds upto 60, but still get the vibration over this.

Any idea what else I should be looking for...? Thanks.

Nidge74

New Forum User
Did you have the tracking done at same time as balancing?

Vibration at 60-70 is a sure sign tracking is off slightly.

260Z TT

Club Member
Check for play in track rod ends and ball joints.
Also look for any run out in tyre when rotated.

Phil240z

Club Member
I've had trouble with the wheels not being central on the hub, especially as older wheels on Z's centre on the lugs and most of the replacement new wheels centre on the hubs, some times they'll bolt on straight and sometimes not! Even just 1mm off centre might be doing it, hope this helps.

JK240

Club Member
Thanks for the reply's chaps, gonna spend a bit of time next weekend looking at it so I will look at all your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

JK240

Club Member
Quick update, took the car in to work with me today, tracking is fine, re-balanced wheels with our workshop foreman and its much improved driving home tonight, still a slight judder at around 80 on the dual carriageway, but much better than it was, certainly at 50-60 there is nothing.

May also be something to do with the wheel bolts and the way they are fitted and the slightly oval couple of holes on one of the wheels, which is nothing that a new set of wheels won't cure....:D so Minilites or Enkie 92's??

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You mentioned this at the LakeZ event. Have you checked the Compression Rod bushes i.e. the bushes at the end of the rod that runs back to the chassis. I had a vibration under braking but tightened up my poly bushes and cured it.

Wyn

Club Member
May also be something to do with the wheel bolts and the way they are fitted and the slightly oval couple of holes on one of the wheels

Being the case you could balance the wheels till the cows come home but unless they are in the middle of the hub they might always vibrate
You might want to look into spigot rings, esp on the front ?