SS Brake Lines

Ian

Club Member
I fancy running stainless steel brake hard lines in my engine bay but they are hard to find, does anyone know where I can buy some?

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Ian - it would be a lot less work and just as good looking if you made them up from Braided S/Steel - the flexible Competition stuff I mean. Check out the Demon Tweeks website for all the fittings, etc., available. Not as expensive as you might imagine for the Brake & Fuel lines to the Engine Bay - it's the Bulkhead fittings and the larger Heater Hoses that cost a packet.

Ian

Club Member
SS hardline is harder to bend and you don't get many chances to get it right, but it can be and is used on project cars and looks nicer than any other option imo.

WilksboroHotRodGarage010.jpg

IMG_0107_zpsc52e6ec9.jpg

jared102.jpg

IMAG0705.jpg

7489788214_56c1944f0b_b.jpg

7489810616_0bf4340f12_b.jpg

SS braided flexies would also work but I don't think they would look much nicer than neatly done cunifer hardlines and also has the drawback of being heavier.

Torby

Forum User
I'm planning to use SS hardlines on mine, found a website that has them, "classictube" or something I think they were called. I haven't been able to find the proper SS fittings yet, though. I reckon it should be possible to make them the right shape using a proper pipe bending tool.

Ian

Club Member
Thanks for that, found the stainless hardline there, I hope I can find some in the UK but if not I can always get it from there, just means more import duty and tax, I've hard enouth of that recently.

Not looking forward to my first time doing brake lines and even worse that my first time will be with stainless steel, and if its not perfect I won't accept it so I may get through quite lot of line.

Huw

Club Member
Used to work with stainless for coolant runs in the dockyards for ships. We used to make a mock up using copper first for difficult runs as it is more forgiving. Probably worth you doing something similar first to get the hang of it and get the measurements and bends right since you have not done something like this before. It's not that difficult. Just measure three times before you cut or bend!

Huw

Ian

Club Member
Used to work with stainless for coolant runs in the dockyards for ships. We used to make a mock up using copper first for difficult runs as it is more forgiving. Probably worth you doing something similar first to get the hang of it and get the measurements and bends right since you have not done something like this before. It's not that difficult. Just measure three times before you cut or bend!

Huw
Definitly a good idea to do a mockup first, a lot of my current copper brake lines are the correct shape already so all I have to do is copy them.

I've heard you can use wire coat hangers as mockup lines quite effectively.

I'm also guessing its only going to work with good tools (staightening, beding, flaring) so I'll have to have a look for these too.