Sr20 gearbox into my 240z .

Leo40z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all

My next project which I want to do very early in 2016 is to fit my a sr20/ s14 gearbox into my 240z . Has anyone on here done the conversion ? Is it a good upgrade . ? I've already got the box just sitting here . My 5 speed box just feels old now . Lol

What else do I need for the conversion ?

Many thanks

Leo

datsfun

Club Member
Leo have a search...has been done before by quite a few and everyone is mega happy with results.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hi Leo, there's a good few threads on here on that topic - have a read. They say it's a huge improvement! You need your old bell housing and your gearbox cross member modified.

Huw

Club Member
Hi Leo

Im doing the same thing to my 280ZX, just starting off doing s14a gearbox conversion. As said above, do some searching but it seems very straight forward. I've only just removed the bell housing from the new box to check the internals, which are fine so now looking at the bell housing machining from my old box. You will also need to get the prop-shaft shortened and the gearbox mounting modified, as already mentioned. This is a good starting reference:

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

Also try the HybridZ site : http://forums.hybridz.org

Im sure others on the forum will chip in as there is a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Im no expert but happy to share my results as I work through the mod.

Cheers

Huw

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
In my opinion it’s one of the best modifications you can do to the car. I/we have been involved in many of them.

The only thing that usually prevents people from doing it is the cost
Getting someone to do it all for you will inevitably cost around £800 - £1000
DIY will still cost a good proportion of that plus the price of 71C gearboxes has gone up dramatically over the past 5 years so you might have to wait a while for a good one to emerge

Try and find the best possible 14 or 14a you can
Getting the bellhousing modified can be a little tricky (it’s not tricky in its self) as it needs a long reach boring arm (can be done on a lathe or a vertical mill) a lot of machine shops will suck their teeth as it requires putting their tea down and doing some good old fashioned sudz and swarf machining.
Make sure they reduce the thickness of the new bearing bore correctly, if they don't do it sufficiently, when its assembled it will lock up or squeal when running as it causes too much pre load.

The Z Home article is quite a good write up considering.

Pay attention to the location of the reverse switch on your bell housing (you’re going to be using it), the switch must sit in a certain position to engage with the notch on the reverse yoke actuator rod there are a number of variants of bell housings that work but some require a new tapped hole.

Pay attention to the speedo drive, the usual gripe is "my speedo doesn’t work" it’s usually an easy fix of rotating the speedo drive (its offset) until it lightly locates with the worm gear and then filing a new notch for the location tab to sit in.

Oh yeah, don’t be a cheapskate and use the S14 gear stick, its rubbish, buy a decent short shift they are not expensive and work a treat

Leo40z

Well-Known Forum User
In my opinion it’s one of the best modifications you can do to the car. I/we have been involved in many of them.

The only thing that usually prevents people from doing it is the cost

Getting someone to do it all for you will inevitably cost around £800 - £1000

DIY will still cost a good proportion of that plus the price of 71C gearboxes has gone up dramatically over the past 5 years so you might have to wait a while for a good one to emerge

Try and find the best possible 14 or 14a you can

Getting the bellhousing modified can be a little tricky (it’s not tricky in its self) as it needs a long reach boring arm (can be done on a lathe or a vertical mill) a lot of machine shops will suck their teeth as it requires putting their tea down and doing some good old fashioned sudz and swarf machining.

Make sure they reduce the thickness of the new bearing bore correctly, if they don't do it sufficiently, when its assembled it will lock up or squeal when running as it causes too much pre load.

The Z Home article is quite a good write up considering.

Pay attention to the location of the reverse switch on your bell housing (you’re going to be using it), the switch must sit in a certain position to engage with the notch on the reverse yoke actuator rod there are a number of variants of bell housings that work but some require a new tapped hole.

Pay attention to the speedo drive, the usual gripe is "my speedo doesn’t work" it’s usually an easy fix of rotating the speedo drive (its offset) until it lightly locates with the worm gear and then filing a new notch for the location tab to sit in.

Oh yeah, don’t be a cheapskate and use the S14 gear stick, its rubbish, buy a decent short shift they are not expensive and work a treat

Hi skiddell

I have a very good low mileage sr20 box already from a car I broke a while back .i will be buying a B&m shifter as I've used them before.

Could you recommend anyone that could do the machine work if I was to send out the both bell housings .?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
TBH John I have never tried using it as ive only ever come across a couple of them, every one that wanted a conversion has a single piece unit

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I have anS14 box in mine with the short shift and it's sensational....Such a lovely positive gearchange too with minimal movement

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator

That's very timely - I was just about to fit mine :thumbs:
Here's why it might need rotating: the drive wheel spindle is slightly offset in the carrier.

IMG_1558.JPG

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You might consider new synchros and bearings as they're available - all ours are now so reworked and good for many years trouble-free use ahead.

Leo40z

Well-Known Forum User
So what options are there for the 260 280 5 speed boxes ? Is there a short shift kit available?

Leo40z

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks mate . It's still options for me then. Lol

Now the car is up and running I don't want it being on my ramp disabled for long again.

Leo40z

Well-Known Forum User
Ok all the parts are ready . Sort of anyway .

Going to remove my box over the weekend .

What clutch and flywheel option is there ? I'm running 320bhp with 370ft Ibs.

Are the Rb20/25 clutches the same ?