Spare Wheel

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm a 'Happy Chappy' today - I finally have a spare wheel in my 370Z boot!

I've never been content to drive around without a spare wheel especially considering that my tyres are huge (275/35/19) , expensive and probably not available 'off the shelf' from 'Joe Bloggs' tyre fitters.

I've done 50k in my 370Z so far and have picked up the odd screw :eek: but been lucky not to get a cut tyre. My daughter (lives in Yorkshire) had a tyre cut on her Mazda 6 just before Christmas and was able to get her husband to fit the full size spare wheel that I had bought for her from London a while back (Steve Burns collected it for me). All she had previously was a big piece of polystyrene - madness when there is lots of space for a wheel! Her husband who also has a Mazda 6 has had to use her spare once too!!

Anyway consider this scenario - I'm in the middle of Wales late one evening and I run over a piece of metal and cut my tyre. I'm helpless so call my breakdown service - what can they do, what happens now? Hotel? Recovery? Emergency tyre fitter arrives 3 hours later with an unmatched tyre at top price? etc etc

I thought that because I have a bass-speaker I couldn't carry a spare but I can and the speaker is designed to fit in the Nissan 4" wide alloy spoked space-saver. I bought the wheel off ebay complete with polystyrene mouldings and jack. :thumbs:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=3...zak-lm-25-w-tpms-w-pics-ak370z-4.html;650;488

I may never need it but what a relief to know I shouldn't be at the mercy of the recovery service.

Incidentally my rear wheel/tyre would fit in the back of the car (just - but not with lots of luggage) if I had to use the spare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
I agrée

In my 280zx, i have the inusable original spare wheel so i have a spray can in permanency

when i go far, i add a régular spare tyre in the boot.
The time i forgot my spare wheel, i had luck that Terry didn't LOL

Because rim was knocked on motorway and spray couldn't help!

As an action plan for the next time i won't have spare tyre, i added a tube to the spray can in the globe box ;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes Sylvain and the problem with a 370Z is that the rear wheels are huge 19x10" so to carry one (and I have a second full set with tyres) is impractical.

Actually these cars (and my previous 350Z) have quite a lot of rear space that is not utilised which in a car with precious little space is not sensible IMO. Nissan appear to want to make any luggage space a nice flat or cubic shape.

In the boot of these cars there is very little height e.g. wine bottles can only stand in certain places but that could be about 8 inches higher if the space under the floor was used!

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
GTR wheels are larger 20", by 285 wide... I run a squared setup, but will be changing to a staggered setup, which will make it even more difficult.

I have the 2x sludge kits with the 12v pumps. I have had 2 screws/nails whatever in the tyres and everytime, the 12v has been enough to pump up the tyre and make my way to my mechanic.... not many stock tyres for my car and even fewer are able to replace tyres without damaging the wheels.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
GTR wheels are larger 20", by 285 wide... I run a squared setup, but will be changing to a staggered setup, which will make it even more difficult.

I have the 2x sludge kits with the 12v pumps. I have had 2 screws/nails whatever in the tyres and everytime, the 12v has been enough to pump up the tyre and make my way to my mechanic.... not many stock tyres for my car and even fewer are able to replace tyres without damaging the wheels.

Do you think we have gone too far with tyre size? :eek:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I was on my weekly 100 mile journey today to see my Dad.

After 25 miles and on a country lane a stone chipping got lodged between my rear disc and splash plate. It made quite a noise and I reckon it would have caused most 370Z owners to wonder what it was and call a breakdown service.

I had my jack (not a standard 370Zs provision) and sorted it in about 15 mins. I wouldn't have wanted to drive with it scoring the disc.

Simple when your car is carrying basic tools.

One thing that was worth thinking about:

At one time I had the car on flat ground in neutral with the handbrake off and I tried to spin the wheel to see if everything was clear a 'free'. I forgot it has a LSD and so it wouldn't spin. If I hadn't 'chocked' the front wheel with rocks I bet it would have moved forward off the jack. I wouldn't have felt so smug then.

Last edited by a moderator: