Spa Classic 2017

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've not seen anything posted about this so I'm assuming that no-one is going this year.

Do we still have good relations with our French colleagues?

Is the Datsun France Club attending?

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
Hello

Yes, we attend with 18 cars on the shopping centre area like 2 years ago

Sorry I missed to post a thread on this

I exchanged by email

We had a deep discussion with organiser... that is probably one of the reasons why helmet is mandatory now

Contact me if you want to attend :)

johnymd

Club Member
I will miss going to this event as I've attended every one since it started. I'll miss all the European members and their hospitality. The event has evolved and I understand things must change so it does not appeal to me as much as before.....plus I'm not allowed to go. Glad the Zclub of France are still attending. Have fun everyone.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'll miss all the European members and their hospitality. Glad the Zclub of France are still attending. Have fun everyone.

There are plenty of other track-day events over here which are still in the free-style that you so enjoy.......wait 'til mine is back on the road 'cos I'll be doing one or two and not too far from the Normandy cross-channel ports.

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
I will miss going to this event as I've attended every one since it started. I'll miss all the European members and their hospitality. The event has evolved and I understand things must change so it does not appeal to me as much as before.....plus I'm not allowed to go. Glad the Zclub of France are still attending. Have fun everyone.

Why aren't you allowed Johny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racer

Club Member
There are plenty of other track-day events over here which are still in the free-style that you so enjoy.......wait 'til mine is back on the road 'cos I'll be doing one or two and not too far from the Normandy cross-channel ports.

I'm up for that as well

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
One of the Zs from Spa -

datsun240zInsta2_zpsxdwfvngm.jpg

Owner on here? Thought it was pretty cool. Bit different!

status

Well-Known Forum User
Matt as you are a naughty boy someone will have to smack your bottom,you little rascal.Dont worry about the french bloke he has a funny haircut and he will be as old as me soon

Hub280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hello Rob, John, Matt and the Spa fans!
I am back from Spa Classic 2017, and it was a very nice meeting as before.
Sad from our side that there were no members from your club, but we all know the reasons...

Friday was flooded and it rained only once... The whole day!
My two track sessions with the caged white 300 ZXTT were like driving with eggs in the hands and under the feet! Nice experience to learn the limits. I stayed on track but accelerations had to be late out of turns, and quite impressive on straights with some slides! The clutch is now standing the torque!

No sessions on saturday as they were already full when asking! That was the day for having a look around the paddocks and hundreds of nice examples present, both on races and visitors parkings.

Saturday and Sunday were dry and much nicer than Friday.
I had two more sessions on Sunday, and this was really nice... and fast!

People seem to forget about rules this year too...
Session 6 on Sunday started with a first lap following the pace car.
It then dissapeared, and the driving was real fast and fun... for one lap...
Red flag and end of session after five minutes!!!
A Renault V6 RS (we just were questionning about what that car was doing in this classic event!) had a co-pilot WITHOUT Helmet, even if this was clearly stated as an obligation this year! Not only he had no helmet, but the driver in the same car drove crazy and went out of the track, finishing backwards in a wall! Doctor emergency car was to come immediately, and consequently, the track Boss decided to put the red flag, finishing the session.

The drivers were mad, and it is lucky that this car could not be found after the session! I am sure that it woukd have finished upside down!
70 pilots paying 100 Euros is 7000 Euros payed for one lap session due to a brainless team in that car!
Not wearing the helmet when it is an obligation looks like the usual behaviour that caracterize people nowadays!

I could recover session 6 bis and 7, and I had 45 minutes on track to forget about this.
That was just enough to compensate for the frustration!

Just wondering if such meetings are going to last for the future years with thack sessions....
I am not sure, and this is really sad. But it is like everything nowadays: You cannot fix rules to be strictly followed....

Very nice meeting with the club, and good belgian beer!
We had a good time... and hope we will see you again (on your way to Nurburgring?!)

And for those who drive down to France, You are invited for a stop in Reims on your way!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hubert, thank you for the feedback. Spa is a great event but the Club sessions need to be controlled properly and sensibly. Briefings and checks as the cars go out on track are essential.

I have a friend who came out to Spa in a Ford Fiesta with his wife. His name is Stewart Middleton - did he meet with any of you. You would have got on well with him. He has a Samuri 240Z .

I hope we meet again soon.

Perhaps you could come over for the Donington Festival next year?

Hub280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Rob, briefing was written instructions this year, obligation for driver personal signature to get the stickers: Everybody knows the track conditions, and this is an improvement from previous issues. Every car was checked on the paddock lines before sessions for anyone in the car to wear the helmet.
I thought that the precautions were checked, but even with this check, someone succeeded to start the session without helmet on the passenger head! I think all this is linked to people behaviour nowadays: Written rules and control is not enough, and as we say here:"You are not going to make a donkey drink if he does not wish to!"

I did not met Stewart, but we had quite long periods away from the Club location: There is so much to look at! I was searching for Mc Laren CANAM cars, but could only see one M6b. There were three examples on le Castelet meeting last year end of September. This is related to my last toy imported from the US: 1982 Manta Mirage....

Hope we get a chance to meet again sometime.
I will check for Donnington Festival next year!

johnymd

Club Member
Great to hear you had a good time Hubert. I really missed not going this year as I have never missing a Spa Classic. IMO the safety and responsible driving on these sessions has always been very good. The restrictions imposed last year created a lot of anger amongst many drivers and caused issues. I'm glad to see they have made changes this year to improve matters from last year. I have always considered crash helmets should be worn so I'm glad that has been imposed.

Maybe some time in the future it may be possible to come again.

Hub280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hello John,
I can understand your wish for Spa track: It has not changed, and wether on wet or dry, it is always a top experience!
I also hope that the last year situation clears so that we will meet again there.
The answer to this is to be discussed between Sylvain, Peter Auto and yourself.
We had to keep a low profile this year, and all was fine for Datsun-France club.
Next year will tell...
And maybe we could meet on another occasion!