Spa classic 18-20 may 2018

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
Hello

Last year we were nice boys :p and event was back to what expected

Entry forms are nearly to be published by organiser... so we have to organise shortly

So... who come?

Attachments

• IMG_5996.JPG
    IMG_5996.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 31

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I would love to come again but only if the track sessions were unrestricted.

John, have you looked into a Spa track-day with someone like Book-a-Track?

I doubt if 'Club Laps' will be unrestricted - they were never supposed to be but we just pushed the limits and perhaps didn't help really.

racer

Club Member
The track sessions were never restricted until our last trip. The changes were made at short notice to everyone annoyance on the weekend. We were made the scapegoats to cover up poor communication and organization from the track authority’s.

As John says. Quite happy to go if the old format is resumed.
I wouldn't pay 100 euro's a pop for basic parade laps.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The track sessions were never restricted until our last trip. The changes were made at short notice to everyone annoyance on the weekend. We were made the scapegoats to cover up poor communication and organization from the track authority’s.

As John says. Quite happy to go if the old format is resumed.
I wouldn't pay 100 euro's a pop for basic parade laps.

Matt, I'm sure I remember reading the 'rules' for the first one I did, which were similar to Le Mans i.e. you were supposed to follow a pace car and have a briefing etc however they never enforced anything and so it was good fun. Sylvain may be able to enlighten us on the 'official' stance on the early ones.

On a 'proper' track-day as you know there is compulsory comprehensive briefing explaining the track etiquette, crash helmets are compulsory, limits on sound, number of cars on track etc. there is no way we should have been allowed to go out on a GP circuit without this. Many drivers were just out to drive around a famous circuit, whilst others were 'racing' - it couldn't continue surely? Is it right that someone in an old MGA can be touring around a track 'wind in hair' whilst guys are driving around in race cars, on trackday tyres at HSCC/CSCC 'front-runner speeds?

I agree 100 euro is far too much for a parade session.

racer

Club Member
Rob I think you’re missing then point. If there were any rules in place from the start they were not communicated to the people on the track. They created the Laid back attitude not us.

I remember the first year asking an official about the briefing we hadn't had, and his exact words were "Arrh yes, please come off the track using this exit Have Fun"

Whatever rules we have on a track day in our country are irrelevant .
Different country, different rules.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Matt, I fully understand your point and the change in attitude but it was inevitable.

You and John would have been lapping at race speed - I know because (with respect) I looked at some of the slower races. So if you reverse the situation should a slow 'Parade' car e.g. MGA be allowed on track during a race and without helmet etc etc.

Fortunately the restrictions have come before a serious injury. I know we are all getting 'soft' but do we need to return to the days where preventable injury is tolerated?

Proper trackdays are the way forward (those will tighten I'm sure e.g. insurance) and the Spa Classic should be enjoyed as a Classic racing spectacle, Club 'meet' and social.

johnymd

Club Member
Reading this, we appear to have 2 vastly differing opinions so maybe we should look at the facts rather than feeling's and then an opinion from someone who attended every single Spa Classic from the start and took part in over 20 track sessions there.

In all those years I have only seen 2 cars damaged by leaving the track and never an accident from 2 cars hitting each other. I have never been involved in a near miss and never once felt unsafe. There is a big mixture of cars and driver abilities on track but they all exist happily together on the same track. There are very few people racing and the pace cars set a high pace to allow for the faster cars. We all understand you are not going to set fast lap time here as you will have to slow and allow for people that are on "parade" laps. The problems only started in 2016 when they enforced a very slow speed limit without telling anyone. I wasn't out on these early sessions but it caused an uproar with lots of very unhappy participants and led to them modifying subsequent sessions to allow for those wanting to go faster and then causing confusion.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
John, just to clarify I wasn't criticizing your driving and yes you have done far more sessions at Spa than me. All I was saying is that it was inevitable and I can't see them reverting to the 'fast days'.

I too would have been really annoyed if they sprang it on me after I had paid my money expecting a fast session.

I have had a near miss with a modern Aston.

The Friday would be the time to allow fast sessions but with a briefing, helmets etc.

johnymd

Club Member
Track day briefing's are no major factor in avoiding accidents on tracks. Basically they tell you what the flags mean and remind you to only overtake on the straights, on the left and to let faster cars pass. You get loads of novices on proper track days (we all start somewhere) so you still get people not looking at what's behind them and generally driving poorly so I don't see making it like a track day helping.

Anyway, it's all just opinions so I'm not going to get in an argument over it.

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
Just to clarify

Now helmet has became mandatory and track sessions were good.

Of course, race director supervises and peace cars can act in case.

But it is back & fine... our responsability not to cross the limits as overtaking the peace car, being aggressive etc...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Any feedback, photos from last weekend?

Did anybody meet up with Stewart Middleton?

Hub280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hello Rob,
You have plenty of photos and videos on Datsun-France forum.
We had a fantastic three days with nice sunshine and dry track.
Sorry, but with the number of visitors, I cannot remeber Stewart Middletown...
Did he came with a Datsun/Nissan on our stand?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hubert, thank you for the reply.

I'm glad you had a good meet and I MUST return some time, I have many happy memories.

We also had a fantastic 'turnout' at Donington - perhaps you could try that one?

Stewart probably drove over in a modern car with his wife.

He has a 240Z Samuri (see picture) but also many more interesting cars and motor bikes!

Attachments

• IMG_5395.JPG
    IMG_5395.JPG
    645 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Hub280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Rob,
my real retirement from my company is now planned end of 2018.
I was supposed to slow down since July 2017, but I will drive to Lyon for a machine installation next week, and drive to Germany the week after!
I took the break for Spa, extending from Thursday to Monday inclusive!
I will be at Le Mans Classic beginning of July.
You are right: You should come to Spa again, and it would be nice to meet!
You are right also on me having a trip to UK and why not to Donington... if the meetings in France leave free days!
Time is still running faster than ever, so let's do what we can now!!