Solid Moustache Bar disadvantages/benifits?

Ian

Club Member
I'm thinking of running some AZC components on the rear, moustache bar, dog legs and cross brace to enable me to fit a finned diff cover and run a rear ARB so I can extend my frame rails.

What are the disadvantages of running a solid moustache bar? I may be wrong but the original is designed to be slightly flexible and act as a sort of spring? If that's the case then what do you loose by running a solid one? What do you gain? Nothing?

http://www.arizonazcar.com/diffmount.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyn

Club Member
Beautiful piece of kit but I don't know your answer. Maybe a bit ott tho ?
Plus would you really want to be cleaning that lot every weekend lol
Would an external cooler not be simpler to fit to the stock cover ?

datsun dave

Club Member
Beautiful piece of kit but I don't know your answer. Maybe a bit ott tho ?
Plus would you really want to be cleaning that lot every weekend lol
Would an external cooler not be simpler to fit to the stock cover ?

I made a external diff cooler set up for my Sam it worked very well again using the standard cover and holes.

I might have some pictures.

johnymd

Club Member
IMO the moustache bar needs to have some give in it and I wouldn't fit the ali parts. I did hear some reports of these parts failing due to the fatigue of repeat twisting forces but cant substantiate this. Do a lot of research and make your own mind up before you go this route.

Ian

Club Member
Don't know if my diff is getting too hot, but its recommended to run a finned cover with a CLSD and as I need to change my cover anyway I thought I might as well replace it with a finned version or at least look into it. Not sure I would want an external cooler, that's bound to add a bit of weight, I hate adding weight, if needs must I would do so however, can't have a wrecked diff.

Wyn - it would take a bit of work to keep clean, helps that I don't drive her in the wet but even at that I find myself having to clean underneath quite a lot.

Dave - Pics would be good out of interest.

More research is needed.

johnymd

Club Member
My diff gets very hot and has since I can remember. I've spoken to various people (quaife and redline racing) and both say I shouldnt be conserned. I keep meening to put on the finned cover I have but never seam to get around to it. I've also got a diff oil pump and cooler rad knocking around so really should do something.

Ian

Club Member
You are running a Quaife so its not really a problem like it would be with a CLSD.

The fact that yours gets very hot leads me to believe I may have to do something with mine.