So.... Paint.....

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hello chaps, my car is some way off being back on the road but it doesn't stop me dreaming about the good times to come.

I've been thinking about a change of colour for the old girl, I just think the silver makes it look a bit more tired than it is, if you know what I mean.

I've seen a number of colours and colour schemes that I'm very keen on but at the same time, I'd like something a bit different. I kind of like the road going race car look but not covered in fake sponsors etc. Maybe a hat tip to the racing pedigree and so on.

If you have a pic of something that you think I might like, I'd like to see it here.

Saw this one at Le Man

IMG_3567.jpg

Or the old Gulf colours. A bit garish perhaps but i really like it. Also, the blue is almost the identicle colour to the doors on the high speed trains in Kent that I work on. The paint repair guys are always after a bit of extra work and they are very good at what they do.

gulf1.PNG
gulg2.PNG

Thoughts welcome:

Cheers

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
Yea I am partial to the gulf colours, I did my Mustang in Heritage blue 2006 Ford colour. Might be a lot cheaper to have your car done in a wrap and if you dong like it its easy to take off.

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
That Stang looks great mate. Do you drive it much?

I think it'll be paint for me, hopefully the blue will only cost me two Poles at minimum wage and the paint will be free lol.

Is 2 pack ok on a car? That's what the paint on my trains is.

240carsten

Well-Known Forum User
Dammit that Stang looks fine!
I am still vaguely looking for a 65/66 coupe to build a transam replica (Terlingua livery), so seeing a car like this makes me all giddy..

Go get a RAL classic colour sample book and have a look for something different yet oldskool... Metallics you should avoid as they just look naff on old cars (imhooo)

TomZupra

Well-Known Forum User
Nope don't do that blue it would look terrible on a z! (also I may want to paint mine Mexico blue!)

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
In the two pics of Z's in gulf colours that I posted on this thread, I think it looks pretty awesome. But I guess you never know until you see it in the flesh....

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
In the two pics of Z's in gulf colours that I posted on this thread, I think it looks pretty awesome. But I guess you never know until you see it in the flesh....

I really like the car with the black arches and orange 240Z door strips.

Cars that copy the Gulf scheme look wrong to me because they are basically 'copies' of racing GT40s etc.

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
This is an interesting one, because I am in the same situation... Silver car, being restored and will need to be painted at some point. Im torn on colours, but someone did suggest that I paint the car the original colour, keeping it original and then wrap it in whatever colour I fancy.

Sounds like a good idea, but Im still not sure.

I like the blue, but not the gulf colours on the Z... but thats my taste. Just keep in mind that a Gulf coloured Z is very much your own taste and if you need to sell in a hurry, you might struggle (not that you will, its just part of the argument).

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi,

Each to their own. After much mulling, I went for the Gulf Blue. I decided against the orange stripe for fear of it looking just too naff but now I have my car back, my personal feel is the stripe would suit it, so will probably get one done in vinyl.

I know this colour is not original and is a shameless copy of a classic racing colour scheme but when all is said and done, it's my Z and I have no intention of selling it anytime soon. If you can't make a personal choice under these circumstances, when can you?

If I had a URL for the photos I have I'd post them but being a technophobe, I can't seem to post them here!

johnymd

Club Member
I like the blue and especially the orange stripe and 240z lettering.

I've a couple of zeds coming and also been thinking about colours......again.

The 260 is going to stay orange, the black one will go back to its original metallic brown and the blue one will either stay ratty blue of get repainter blue.

I was planning on selling one of them but may just keep the lot.

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,

Each to their own. After much mulling, I went for the Gulf Blue. I decided against the orange stripe for fear of it looking just too naff but now I have my car back, my personal feel is the stripe would suit it, so will probably get one done in vinyl.

I know this colour is not original and is a shameless copy of a classic racing colour scheme but when all is said and done, it's my Z and I have no intention of selling it anytime soon. If you can't make a personal choice under these circumstances, when can you?

If I had a URL for the photos I have I'd post them but being a technophobe, I can't seem to post them here!

Exactly.... its your car, do what you want to it ;)

If you PM me, I will drop you my email, email the pics over and I will upload

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I think you need some clear indicators ;)

They do seem to work well

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg