Silver 260z LHD

johnymd

Club Member
I made a bit of room in the workshop yesterday as the 280z is now off being painted so time to make a start on the latest car to arrive. I've not had a chance to check over this one as I've been too busy with the others so it got buried in the back of the workshop.

I started by pulling the engine and removing all the front panels to check for rust. As I started removing bit it revealed no rust what so ever. This car has turned out to be in great condition with no surprises at all. Looks like the only repair is with the spare tyre well, which Mike supplied with the car. The car will require quite a few parts but a shell in this good condition is a great place to start. I've still not made my mind up as to how far I'll go with but for now I'll just strip it to a shell and clean it up before doing a RHD conversion. Then decide whether to have it painted or just cleanup the surface rust and use it as is.

Attachments

• 008 (Large).JPG
    008 (Large).JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 017 (Large).JPG
    017 (Large).JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 016 (Large).JPG
    016 (Large).JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 015 (Large).JPG
    015 (Large).JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 014 (Large).JPG
    014 (Large).JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 013 (Large).JPG
    013 (Large).JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 012 (Large).JPG
    012 (Large).JPG
    348.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 011 (Large).JPG
    011 (Large).JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 010 (Large).JPG
    010 (Large).JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 009 (Large).JPG
    009 (Large).JPG
    392.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It looks like you've got recesses for seatbelt inertia reels there John, what year is it?

johnymd

Club Member
Yes Dan, no surprises. The floors are both good too. Just bit dented. I really need to get it fully stripped and jet washed to see exactly what I'm starting with.

SacCyclone

Club Member
LHD US cars started the seatbelt recess around 1972 maybe midyear. All 73 and later used inertia belts and 70 / 71 had static belts. They were needed to meet US safety standards.

Can't wait to see the process on this car John...:cheers:

SacCyclone

Club Member
FGsSxuN.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

johnymd

Club Member
Spent a bit of time cleaning the floor pans and straightening them out.

Attachments

• MZGE8845 (Large).jpg
    MZGE8845 (Large).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2942 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2942 (Large).JPG
    201 KB · Views: 112

SacCyclone

Club Member
Yes, great job on the cleanup.

Looks like my makeshift 2x4 wooden support worked to keep the engine up off the firewall....LOL

Creative Engineering at your service.

johnymd

Club Member
The car has sat in the corner for a while but it's going off for painting tomorrow. I may have left it a bit late to finish getting it ready but I was 90% their. It's stripped to a shell and secured to a trolley. Just needed to remove all the ugly clips from the engine bay as I'm going for the clean look again. Colour is not 100% finalised but I do have a week before he starts applying the finished colour. I was going for the original silver but I've gone off that now. The current favourite is a very light grey. Similar to the picture below. The theme for this one is pretty standard but a cleaner look. Grey with black wheels and bumpers. No markers or front wing indicators. No badges. Very clean engine bay with the original 2.6 engine on 240z carbs. Black interior with new seat covers. Staying LHD for the euro market. Fully refurbed and powder coated underneath and standard brakes. I'm building this one as my own to keep but at the end of the day I will need to sell at least one of my cars.

Attachments

• IMG_3103 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3103 (Large).JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3104 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3104 (Large).JPG
    307 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3105 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3105 (Large).JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 85