Short strutt conversion?

johnymd

Club Member
Been pondering doing this for a while and now seams to be the time. My reasoning behind this is this:
My existing rear coilover strutts bottom out if I set them at the height I'd like so I've had to raise them. In addition to this the wheel bearing are knackered. I've still got my old strutts, which I fitted new bearings to a little while ago, so it may be cheaper to convert these by just buying the threaded sleeves than replace the wheel bearings.

So, advice from anyone who's done this conversion is welcome along with recommendations on where to get the sleeves. May also get shocks if the price is right.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
I've maintained for some time now (and from personal experience), this is the only way to lower a Z (S30) properly.

Threaded sleeves available from Demon Tweaks / Rally Design. You will need new dampers because they need to be shorter to compensate for the chunk you cut out of the strut.

The cut needs to sit in the middle of where the threaded sleeve fits and this will vary depending on the length of the springs you buy. You'll need to know what the compressed length of the spring is, which again will vary depending on the spring rate.
Basically you will need to dummy fit and measure etc etc...

The threaded sleeve needs only welding at the top and the bottom (obviously), there is no need to re-weld the actual strut because the new sleeve acts as the reinforcement.

During dummy fit, aim for the spring to sit at correct ride height without any collar adjustment up as this will avoid any pre-load.

I'd be looking at a spring length of about 10 inches uncompressed.

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
I have been told that you can swap the front ínserts to the back (minus 25 mm.) and use VW golf inserts in the front, cant remember the length, this might be a place for you to start.

Chris

johnymd

Club Member
From what your saying Rob, I assume the sleeve is a tight enough fit to hold the 2 bits of the strut in perfect alignment. I had planned on using my front dampers on the back and reducing the strut length by the difference in length between the 2 dampers, does this sound right? I'll be using the springs off my old coilover struts and welding the sleeve in based on how the lower perch sits on them, adjusting its position by the length of the bit cut out.......if that makes any sense!

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
From what your saying Rob, I assume the sleeve is a tight enough fit to hold the 2 bits of the strut in perfect alignment

Yes. But you can buy sleeves in differing diameters, so it needs to be.

I had planned on using my front dampers on the back and reducing the strut length by the difference in length between the 2 dampers, does this sound right?

Yes. What is the difference? I'd be wanting 2" at least.

I'll be using the springs off my old coilover struts and welding the sleeve in based on how the lower perch sits on them, adjusting its position by the length of the bit cut out.......if that makes any sense!

Search YouTube for examples.

racer

Club Member
Nice Link
John I would seriously look at the Koni 8610 dampers. They are double adjustable (Bound/Rebound)
Well tested by trackday/race guys in the states and DJ over here. Your going to need something really good to handle your Power.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
It is an interesting article.

Doing it on a race car where ride heights and spring rates change makes the job more of a head scratch for sure.

It puzzles me why some feel the need to weld the sectioned strut together before adding the sleeve.