Shipping Containers ?

Wyn

Club Member
Is anyone using an old shipping container to store their Z car or parts/ trim ?
How do you go about damp/ winter months to stop condensation/ rot setting in ?
Is there a good way to insulate them without using up room, or esp when mains power isn't available ?
Have just purchased a 40ft container and may well stick the Z car in there rather then leave it outside yet again?
Good idea or not ?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Needs free flowing air ideally. Be better in the container with the door open. Those things sweat awfully.

Can you not get power to it and stick a carcoon in it? I have one of my cars stored in a carcoon and it's brilliant.

Dan

uk66fastback

Club Member
Wouldn’t it be easier to rent a garage Wyn? Where are you going to put a 40ft container?! I’d rather have the car outside than in a shipping container. Went to see a Mustang once that was stored in one, the sides were literally dripping ...

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
My tin garage is a bit like a container - I used to get a lot of condensation. I fixed it by lagging the roof.

Huw

Club Member
Hi Wyn

Guy up the road from me uses shipping containers for storage. He gets them spray coated with an insulation foam type stuff inside. There are companies that do it for your loft. I cant comment on its effectiveness myself, if I can catch him I will have a chat with him but he is a bit elusive

Huw

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
i have a shipping container to store stuff
to stop the damp it was sprayed internally with what i can only describe as a thick expanding foam and has vents installed at intervals all around the top close to the ceiling.
true to the letting agents word ive not seen any condensation or damp in there and ive got cloth interiors in there.

Wyn

Club Member
Cheers all for the pointers. So vents and some sort of lagging or insulation foam should do the trick
Have already purchased it with a standing area, so need to either use it for just parts, or store the Z in there as well

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
speak to them nicely they might underseal the datsun for you too :lol:

Dave B

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe stick a couple of small fans in one end, and vent the other to get some airflow through?
If there’s power available obviously..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
one more thing, the guy i rent mine from pointed out all his containers are 6 inches off the floor and a 4 inch gap between each container so the air can get all around it.
a big mistake he found out was leaving them on the floor increases the chances of damp creeping into the container especially as his yard is mainly mud with gravel thrown over so you can imagine they would be sat in water when it rained, hence raising them up

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
All valid comments. These are hermetic boxes. Let them breathe first and foremost. Insulation second, if you heat it definitely insulate it.

Last comment spot on, air all round especially includes the ground. The ISO blocks on the corner are the loading points, big breeze blocks on each node at the very least. Don't put the vent on the roof, high and at the sides if you can. Roofs usually 2mm thick, walls usually 4mm. Can accommodate holes easier without bursting joints.

If you haven't got one already, you can find reefer (refrigerated) units are pre insulated, usually with a plywood floor too.

Only word of wisdom is most for sale are out of certification (lifting etc) red tape where I live NE scotland and crane boys get arsey about moving them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk