Seat Differences

yellowz

Club Member
I took out my seats a while back and put some S2000 seats in. Now I'm looking at putting the original seats back after giving them some TLC.

Can anyone tell me if there are any big difference between these two seats? I thought they would both have strapping across the back but they are really different. I think at some point someone has put a different seat in as the texture of the seat covers differs between the bases. I'll find out more as I take them to bits.

The base with the straps has collapsed right down and torn the seat cover, so will be replacing all the covers to get a set that matches. Does anyone have any recommendations for which ones to buy as replacements? Not going leather - although I'd love to.

What are the ones Mr F sells like?

Interior Innovations have them at £224 including delivery to the UK although I can guess import tax goes on that. Has anyone got a set of these?

Any info gratefully received.

Attachments

• 20171203_155012.jpg
    20171203_155012.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 20171203_155106.jpg
    20171203_155106.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55

johnymd

Club Member
I tried to order a complete interior from interior innovations a week or so ago and still not had a reply. Are they still around? I’ve had a leather interior from them before and it was superb. The trimmers much prefered these to the vinyl ones I gave them last time. They asked m not to buy vinyl again.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I used a kit from MSA which MrF sells. Vinyl covers, foam base & back and hog ring it all together. I fitted more than 10 years ago and no sign of wear yet. I think they’re great.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Looks like you have an early seat with the Pirelli webbing from the ones I have had in my series 1
Cars they also have a differant reclining mech and don't tilt.
You should be able to get replacment Pirelli webbing ok
MSA seat covers fit both ok

uk66fastback

Club Member
I think the one with the straps is an early seat and then they changed to the ones with the sprung-base for the later cars.

Edit: Fairline go it right while I was prevaricating.

I bought new foams from the US but I am keeping one of my original seat covers and recolouring a 'matching grain' one that Sea kindly sent me as the original one was ripped. Also recolouring all the original vinyl as well. Coming out fantastically.

Did read a review of those covers you mention a while back - all made in the Far East I think - supposed to be VERY good.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It's an investment but I would always fit new foam, covers* and hardware.

*I've had both the MSA ones (that Mike sells) and they have lasted years - lovely fit and have only swapped for the leather Int Innov version which are also great.

I've been in touch with him recently John so insist and resend.

yellowz

Club Member
I can see the way the covers fit with the hog rings. How do you attach the seat cover to the earlier seat base? Not sure what they are called but I can see the spikes that pierce the material on the earlier seat go through the seam. It looks like the new covers are longer and the material would go too far. What can you attach the hog rings too to take the stress off the material?

The only thing I can think of is shortening the material overrun and making a new reinforced seam. With my sewing skills glue sounds a good option.

The only photo I can find of an early seat bottom view is on WoodworkerB but I can't get the detail of how he has done it.

Mr F, have you got any suggestions as I'll likely be purchasing the kits from you soon?

Attachments

• seat base 1.jpg
    seat base 1.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 14
  • 20171203_155106 (1).jpg
    20171203_155106 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

yellowz

Club Member
I tried to order a complete interior from interior innovations a week or so ago and still not had a reply. Are they still around? I’ve had a leather interior from them before and it was superb. The trimmers much prefered these to the vinyl ones I gave them last time. They asked m not to buy vinyl again.

They replied to my email last night, took 5 days to get back to me and did not even answer one of the 2 questions.

johnymd

Club Member
I did get a message back from them and they apologised saying they had a family emergency. I've sent them details of what I require so just waiting to hear back.

Geoff-R

Club Member
This is interesting because I've just given my seats to a trimmer as I didn't want the hassle of a cover that might or might not fit. My trimmer hasn't come across any of the round metal vents yet, does anyone know where these can be obtained from?

uk66fastback

Club Member
From China via ebay (I think), someone had a link once, on another thread. I then had it in my Watched folder but I've long since deleted it, sorry.

johnymd

Club Member
Are there any major differences with the 240, 260 and 280z seats that will stop you fitting covers not for that model? I would like to use 240z style covers on a 280z seat but I'm not sure if its possible. The seats look basically the same.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Are there any major differences with the 240, 260 and 280z seats that will stop you fitting covers not for that model? I would like to use 240z style covers on a 280z seat but I'm not sure if its possible. The seats look basically the same.

I have used the interior innovations covers on both 240Z and 280Z, no difference, fit the same.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
do you do it yourself chris or take it somewhere local?

I use a local guy who trims aircraft for Flybe as his main job, he does the cars as a sideline. He would have preferred to do the material fabrication himself rather than using the Interior Innovations vinyl kits but would have worked out more expensive overall by £100 or so.

I have a few sets of the vinyl seat covers in black here at £200 pair if anyone is looking to buy which will be quicker and cheaper than ordering direct from States and paying Shipping/Duty/VAT etc.

johnymd

Club Member
I’d like a pair Chris.

I’m ordering an interior in leather from interior inovations but also need a set for the silver car.