Seat covers?

johnymd

Club Member
I've had a few sets of seats recovered now so I thought I'd talk a little about how they turned out.

The first set were from interior innovation in tan leather. These turned out really well. The second were in vinyl and from MSA. The vinyl is quite stiff and were trimmers didn't enjoy fitting them. The beading on the bolster has worn very quickly so you have to be really carful getting in and out of the car (Silver rat look). These are the closest match to an original seat. The next 2 sets were from interior innovations. One in leather and the other in vinyl. The vinyl one had new foam and the others were refoamed in places. The fit of these covers is not great but I believe they will improve with heat and use.

My trimmer has suggested I give them a spare seat and cover that they can take apart to make a pattern for better fitting future seats.

Attachments

• IMG_1757.JPG
    IMG_1757.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2300.JPG
    IMG_2300.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3150 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3150 (Large).JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3151 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3151 (Large).JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 152

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
I wouldn't say that any of those are decent quality retrims.I used to mess about with retrims, although very much an amateur, see pic. Unless you're on an originality thing vinyl is a waste of effort. Vinyl won't 'move' with heat. Leather can be 'moved' with heat and moisture to get a better fit. However like most things in life what you see on the surface is only a reflection of the substance underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 81

uk66fastback

Club Member
Agreed that the brown one looks good. Not sure on the others. If you can get your trimmers to be able to make up their own better-fitting covers that'd be a bonus.

SacCyclone

Club Member
The tan leather looks very nice and inviting to sit on. I would look to having a set of those made for my car as they appear to be the best from what I have seen. And the smell of leather just adds to the quality of the build for a car i think.

Peato40

Well-Known Forum User
Are these Interior innovation, leather seat cover a DIY job to fit if the original seats are in good condition?
And do we not have UK discount?

I'm at the stage where I need to place an order somewhere and really fancy taking up a leather option.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I chose the new mousse and I reccomend to do the same if yours is in any other condition than perfect and firm.

PM me if you like.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
I go with these guys everytime :https://www.interior-innovations.com/index.php/welcome/products/6

We also have a French club discount.;)

Three of the four sets pictured are from interior innovations :unsure:

I have used their vinyl covers (and supplied JMD with his black vinyl pair :rofl:) as had a couple of spare sets around. They are OK if you just want functional covers that look acceptable for a daily driver type of car and far better than tatty originals, most importantly they are cheap to buy.

My trimmer said same as JMDs and whinged about slightly loose fit here and there, said he could do much better using a tatty original as template. Sure he can but would be at least £100 or so more expensive. These trimmer guys are perfectionists but to the untrained enthusiasts eye I am happy enough at the price with the kits.

If/When I do nut and bolt concours level rebuilds I will go for the bespoke custom trimmer made option in leather and pay the extra. You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
John, my first impression is that they are all good seats and so much better than worn, split seats!

I like the brown ones but they have to go in a car with brown trim.

Just an observation that's all - they are all very acceptable.

Does anybody know of a supplier or repairer for 260Z seats?

Dave B

Well-Known Forum User
Anyone looked at the Datsun Z leather seat covers on Fleabay.

I got some from eBay USA, in leather. They’re not bad at all, but I think I’m going to restrip my seats and replace/add to the foam a bit, as they’ve gone a bit saggy where I got rid of the horrible itchy horsehair stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
36271352d1e81d05cc65d861b3f135cd.jpg

status

Well-Known Forum User
I’d rather pay the extra 100 quid if they are that much better they look ok in the piccy,I’m still on the lookout for decent carpet with the whip edgin as I think the leather edgin looks a cheap option as they couldn’t do it properly also late 260 seats,you get wot you pay for

johnymd

Club Member
Which ones on ebay? do a search and it comes up with several. None in the UK though as far as I can see.

£100 difference!!! between what?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Think he is referring to my comment about using a trimmer to custom replicate seat covers in vinyl at extra cost of £100 over Interior Innovations vinyl seat covers.

status

Well-Known Forum User
If the quality was better then I’d pay the extra but the ones I’ve seen imported from the states in the past I couldn’t fault but like most things nowday quality isn’t in a lot of people’s vocabulary,still looking for 260 late seats to be replicated

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Any competent trimmer can re-make your 260 seats. Trimmer I use would charge £400 in vinyl, £500 in leather but he is trade only.

Only reason for using seat covers is speed, convenience and cost saving if that is important. You may buy the covers in the States, but certainly the ones I mentioned I know are produced in Karachi. The quality is fine for the price and does the job, look ok, just if you are an expert ie a trimmer or are incredibly fussy then you may find minor fault with fit.

Any competent trimmer can re-make your 260 seats. Trimmer I use would charge £400 in vinyl, £500 in leather but he is trade only.

Only reason for using seat covers is speed, convenience and cost saving if that is important. You may buy the covers in the States, but certainly the ones I mentioned I know are produced in Karachi. The quality is fine for the price and does the job, look ok, just if you are an expert ie a trimmer or are incredibly fussy then you may find minor fault with fit.

That sounds like a fair price for a proper job.

Can they do them with red piping, orange stitching and 240z on the headrests?

status

Well-Known Forum User
I would be looking for the original style/material and I would probably find something that’s not right as I’m an upholsterer by trade not that i would look that close anyway as I’m not one of the anoraks you get on here picking faults with almost every Zed we see advertised ,it’s just st getting the right material but to be fair I’ve not looked that hard