safety devices rollcage

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
does anyone have any pictures of a Safety Devices rollcage fitted in a 240z or 260z
does it fit right up to the seam on the rear inner arches
and where the rear feet go as mine looks very close with eye bolts fitted for the seatbelts
and do you cut out any metal when fitting the mounting points

tel240z

Club Member
Mike have a look at my what to do with this thread page 10 post 148 149 cant link it as my right click button is broke if you need more info I could take some measurements for you off my cage

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
thanks for that Tel
slight problem is that my cage is a little bit different to yours,the front feet are different to mine but the rears are similar.
I did not realise that they have captive nuts to mount them

tel240z

Club Member
Well Mike I bought mine without the mounting kit so made my own so the captive nut bit was the way I went mine does fit onto the rear inner arches but from memory about an inch from the seam

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
the captive nut is a great idea,i will be doing the same with mine

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Moggy, just got back off holiday - I have pictures of my cage that was fitted to the track car. Will update you ASAP.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Bolt in cages? Interesting Tel that you welded in perches for it to sit on the bolted the cage to that. Why not just weld the whole thing in?

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Bolt in cages? Interesting Tel that you welded in perches for it to sit on the bolted the cage to that. Why not just weld the whole thing in?

Bolt in is perfectly good for 99% of S30s.:bow:
You weld in the mounts for convenience and a good strong fit.as there are no ready made strong points;)
When you dont need the cage ie on the road you can take it out,:thumbs:

:D:D:D

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
You weld in the mounts for convenience and a good strong fit.as there are no ready made strong points;)

Ah fair point!

Don't forget all the 'scene' points you get though for driving round on the road in a car that 'looks' like it was made for a race track :lol:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
the captive nut is a great idea,i will be doing the same with mine
FYI there are at least three versions of the S30 Safety Devices cage so some people will be talking /posting pics of a cage you dont have,
There are some pics on my "shell" build thread I think???
You can also see the real deal in the metal if you call;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You weld in the mounts for convenience and a good strong fit.as there are no ready made strong points

Yep

The 'perches' are there for strength to stop the cage going through the floor when the car is on it's roof. As far as I know that's now a Motorsport requirement.

Safety Devices used my car as the 'jig' to design a better S30 cage.

tel240z

Club Member

As he said Dan also on the odd drag strip day ;) I may take it out as light is the way I want to go and NO I havn't been drilling the centres out of the wing fixing bolts :lol:

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
my cage is fairly old as it still has Le Jog stickers from 03 on it as it came out of Brads rally car, so the feet for the rear cage is flat and the front section feet have a 45 degree bend on them

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
one last question , do I need to weld a plate where the cage bolts on the inner rear arches or can I just use some big washers

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
one last question , do I need to weld a plate where the cage bolts on the inner rear arches or can I just use some big washers

You dont Need to weld anything there but you do need a plate at least as big as the cage "foot" on the "outside" of the arch. Ie under the car. Once again havig captive welded nuts on it makes assemby/removal much easier:)

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Interestingly Safety Devices own web-site suggests the rear reinforcing plates should be fitted on the INSIDE of the car.

johnymd

Club Member
Just my 2p worth.

The purpose of the plate is to spread the load and stop the tube punching through or bolt pulling out. In a lateral collision that point may be trying to pull out rather than push down. I think you want to capture the car metalwork between 2 plates of sufficient size to spead the load. I think, looking at it from an engineering point of view, you need a 80x100mm plate on the outside of the sheetmetal as Pete says. The inside plate is already attached to the cage. Some will often weld a spreader plate onto the inside as well which I think is good practise.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Interestingly Safety Devices own web-site suggests the rear reinforcing plates should be fitted on the INSIDE of the car.
I think I would struggle with cage as it is very close to the roof and lifting it up 3mm could cause problems

ben240z

Club Member
You dont Need to weld anything there but you do need a plate at least as big as the cage "foot" on the "outside" of the arch. Ie under the car. Once again havig captive welded nuts on it makes assemby/removal much easier:)

You do need to weld plates to the shell to mount the cage if you want to comply with msa blue book regs. If you are not competing in any msa events and have no intention of running in any msa run events then you can do what ever suits your requirements.
As has been stated earlier the plates welded into the shell are to spead the loads imposed on the mounting points should you invert the car and therefore ask the cage to do it, s job.

Identify what you want from the car and cage and go from there