S30 Exhaust & Inlet Manifold attachment

Farmer42

Club Member
Probably a daft question but can someone please confirm the right/best way to attach the inlet and exhaust manifolds to an E88 Head? I have a stock exhaust manifold and twin SUs.

Should there be all studs protruding out and the manifolds clamp with nuts and spacer washers or should some of these be bolts?

If it should be studs with nuts, what are the best type to use i.e. copper, brass or stainless steel and should they be the ones with flanges on or just normal nuts?

Thanks

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Here's a pic of the standard (I think) stud configuration of the E88 head (and others I reckon). The ones betwixt an inlet and an exhaust port have the big washers that hold both manifolds. The other studs hold the rest of the exhaust manifold and the top row of holes have bolts for the top half of the inlet manifold.

EPk-eTPSGKnVeFKffgODdMxrt8j2NRFqv51vnpfsq3DaCRDUNL9i4ua4lt3TpTsEGClomPGWhFo5p2eg9bJufHiObU6LiyE1u1wFinzF46IIlJdJB0zIAgWvFjhnrcFvNHwD7M6845aczrRQzqS6fm_d29YQGcoInDP4alD7kfxgbcMvA6za7LLo7HnPcXcs6-wCkwsN1M-FaffCKZOVsrRZ7BvYPXjnKro1UZKfnOdleHIrNOxvPrZ8iErJOQbWZLZkELj6s2X9aGAmO5z-nUb7-WWskofr6HbK5rKYh2SCKw3t8Jh4dTlKjVkiaqHSvmC6tpqSbvsz33TanIgs8e-0XtaWXhEu1xIjWrUme0fmG8dvQ8_s1x4zLywONJnMCN1eX68bZ9AjFqvxh7weO6K0LhV50JoC9B-prPv3WZz7Lod1-by67aGGgZ-IYjg2PuM7Ps_9v8A48q6JshxGeYqq9VnrxsOZZ-X42GWkOAe9rtNAUSpjOMQHCqo2hi-MvwVfc5Wkkt6Idz_mVXvyD6C3pLyRza5uVlYQD2z9N7TyXtbnL_MzyuCVuA9l0_iXNRtlsuZmJXymqFoWCRwQoUErn7efcgtF2m_VKqVYvBRb_Rxy=w852-h640-no

Last edited by a moderator:

Farmer42

Club Member
Here's a pic of the standard (I think) stud configuration of the E88 head (and others I reckon). The ones betwixt an inlet and an exhaust port have the big washers that hold both manifolds. The other studs hold the rest of the exhaust manifold and the top row of holes have bolts for the top half of the inlet manifold.

Thanks for the pic. It gives a good idea of how things should look. Looks like I have enough studs to do the job so just need to get hold of the nuts, washers and bolts.

Nice colour on the block by the way:thumbs:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I reckon the bolts are ordinary m8x40, but not sure where the big fat washers come from. Maybe Mike F has them.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
out of curiosity those 11 studs, 2 of them are slightly longer or have a longer shank then the 9 others.
do the 2 longer ones go in the 1st and last exhaust stud hole?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
On mine, all the studs were the same size. The outside one on #6 pulled out so I tapped it out to the next largest size. On reflection, I think the normal size is m6, and the replacement one was m8.