S15 into an S30

Howdy Rob

I spent about a month going over the conversion to s14 then comparing the s15 gearbox to see if it'd work. My brain at the time told be that there was an output alignment issue so it could go s15 to s14 but not s15 to s30. I could quite possibly be wrong. I didn't look at swapping the gearsets though.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Would'nt want to fit a dual mass flywheel to an S30. Quite apart from the compatibility problems a dual mass flywheel is not the most reliable in the world. I have one fitted as standard in my Discovery and whilst I have had no problems myself they are well known to give trouble as they are in other vehicles.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Franky, if a propshaft is part of the kit then I suspect the box is longer too? Alignment? If the engine and diff are the same why would there be an alignment issue - gear lever position?

Nigel, I would think a one piece flywheel could be used. There is a good article in one of the mags. this month about DM Flywheels - Car Mechanics I think.

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
s14 and s15 boxes are the same outer dimensions. prop is the same to. any s15 engine with box can be swapped in an s14 without modifying anything.
s15 has speed pickup on the diff, s14 has it on the gearbox. thats the difference. o and the 6 gears offcourse :)

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
and vice versa, s14 engine and box fit into an s15, duall mass flywheels is not standard on an s15.

racer

Club Member
So that's the agro bit then? Finding another place to take the speedo drive from. Isn't the pick up from the diff in the S15 electronic rather than cable?
Dual Mass flyweels are for girls that can't change gear smoothly :D

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
pickup in s14 and s15 is both electric. the s14 has a wormwheel in the gearbox, s15 uses a sensor in the differential, like the abs sensor.

i have a Datsun C30 Laurel with an s15 engine and box. I took the wormwheel out of an r32 gts box( which has a cable driven speedo), installed that in the s15 box (which has the hole in it for the wormwheel because it is the same gearbox as an s14) and bolted the C30 speedo cable to that wormwheel. I guess the s30 has that same cable connection so any s14 box can be used with the r32 wormwheel and the s30 speedocable i guess.

tooquick260

New Forum User
I just did this install. S15 gear box mated to a L series block. When i get home i will post more info. Cost $400 for conversion, weld the front of s30 bell housing on the s15 gear box. The person that did this for me also made the Speedo conversion. I am using a z32 rear differential. Has a4.09 , am using the Speedo gear from a frontier that its a 4.11.

The tangy mount with some slight persuasion lines up just behind the stock s30 chassis mount. Used longer bolt, and a 1 1/2 pipe stacked with washers to hold pipe in place.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
weld the front of s30 bell housing on the s15 gear box.

When using an S14 box you can just bolt the S30 gearbox bell housing straight on (with a couple of mods) can you not do this with the S15 box ????

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Resurrecting this -
I was looking at pics of S14 /S15 boxes.
It looks like S14 is two part, S15 is 3 part. Perhaps this is why the S15 needs welded rather than bolt on bell housing from S30?
S14:
IMG_3865.jpg

compared to S15:
Gearbox.jpg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks - I'll have a read of the NissanSilvia.com thread - the PC gaming thread looks less relevant :confused:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
oops, posted in a hurry! Too many tabs open in my browser, edited my previous post - it should make some sort of sense now lol