S14a conversion

johnymd

Club Member
With the zed engine bolted in the car, the gearbox seams to be canted over a fair bit so the gearstick wont be upright. Is the normal on the conversion?

johnymd

Club Member
Anyway. As I started a thread about S14a boxes I may as well ask a Question I cant seam to find the answer for on the net.

I don't have my S14a box yet but would like to look into modifying the crossmember. In order to do this I need to know exactly how much longer, at the mounting holes, is a S14a box compared to a Z box? Or, if no one knows this then all I need is either the total length of the new box, from either bellhousing face to mounting holes or the split box section to mounting holes. From this I could then work out how much I need to extend the mount by.

racer

Club Member
Quote "Who come up with the answer at 7:30 this morning Matt. Go on, tell 'em."

Yeah Yeah you got it right :rolleyes:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Anyway. As I started a thread about S14a boxes I may as well ask a Question I cant seam to find the answer for on the net.

I don't have my S14a box yet but would like to look into modifying the crossmember. In order to do this I need to know exactly how much longer, at the mounting holes, is a S14a box compared to a Z box? Or, if no one knows this then all I need is either the total length of the new box, from either bellhousing face to mounting holes or the split box section to mounting holes. From this I could then work out how much I need to extend the mount by.

Off the top of my head it's 25mm.

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16791

Last edited by a moderator:

johnymd

Club Member
Thanks lads. So it's between 35 and 25. I had read 35mm on the net but Matt measured it at around 17 which got me thinking. I would like to only do it once and do it right. The exact distance is the difference in length between the z box and s14 box (without the front section and to the mount point).

I'll get Matt to measure his s14 box and compare it to the z one.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I measured mine at 25mm but that was some time ago. I will do it again and give you a ring later John.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I had a 280ZX box in my old 240.

I looked on some US sites and of course they are converting from a 4 speed which I THINK is shorter (so difference greater) - careful when reading those.

John, it's quite an easy job so probably best to wait until the box is installed but I know you don't like waiting.

Did you see the pics in the link to the thread I gave. My crossmember was measured accurately and worked fine.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I had a 280ZX box in my old 240.

I looked on some US sites and of course they are converting from a 4 speed which I THINK is shorter (so difference greater) - careful when reading those.

John, it's quite an easy job so probably best to wait until the box is installed but I know you don't like waiting.

Did you see the pics in the link to the thread I gave. My crossmember was measured accurately and worked fine.

Terry has an S14 in his blue car. ;)

johnymd

Club Member
The guy who made that one says he doesn't have the time to make any more but will supply the plans.