running issue

mjf7552

Forum User
:(starts not great but starts. once you apply the throttle it dies. car was running great when bought a month ago. had to drive it a one hour journey home, since then however it has only been brought in/out of garage as its being brought back to best.

i have replaced:

points, condenser, dizzy, dizzy arm, leads, plugs, coil.

i have checked:

mech fuel pump works, fuel getting through,

my mate car techy for 15 years now struggleing obviously used to working on more modern motors.

any help advise welcome!

slaphead

Club Member
What model is it you are refering to exactly?

If you are refering to a 240z/260z and assuming all that has happened is the car has been started and stopped - I would be looking at the carbs as the most likley cause - start with simple stuff like topping up the dash pots with 30 weight oil ( can cause sudden changes in mixture without the damping effect of the oil ) - if they are then ok I'd be stripping the carbs and cleaning them

Mr.F

Inactive
If 240Z carbs, check that the nozzles (jets) are returning fully home after choke is taken off.

mjf7552

Forum User
sorry to not mention what car it is! the car is a 260z 2+2 1978. the choke as you can imagine has been on and off like a yoyo and the car has not been for a good run since being purchased. i know that it had not been used much at all before that as well. thanks for replying!

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
mjf,
This car from new is running what is known as "flat top" carbs...are they still on? If they are, they can be a pain to use if in an original worn un-set condition..

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
(OT) I still have a set of flat tops with manifold and ancilleries for a 260Z in good condition. In case yours are very worn

neil240z

Club Member
you have mentioned you have checked fuelling but have you checked the fuel filter? sometimes corrosion in the tank can be fed through and block it, some fuel would stiill get through but under load it would be starved :thumbs:

mjf7552

Forum User
thanks everyone for your hep! the fuel filter isnt blocked. the car is running SU carbs are these referred to as flat tops . going to reset the carbs tmoz or should say try to using my haynes manual. failing this will get the carbs looked at cleaned re balanced etc and go from there.

slaphead

Club Member
.......... the car is running SU carbs are these referred to as flat tops . .............

The term flat tops refers to the original hitachi carbs fitted to that model of 260z - they are like the su in style but whereas the su has a bell shaped dome the hitachi are flat instead of gently curving. Just as a confusing footnote the 240z hitachi carbs look the same as the SU carb (bell shaped) these are a popular upgrade to replace the later flat top style.

type flat top hitachi carb into google and look at images you'll get it quickly enough :thumbs: