Restoration questions with slight modifications

280zx

Forum User
Hi guys
Bought a 280zx 2x2 1979 i have plans to make it the way I desire it to look so here's a few question - if anyone can answer these would be great any help or ideas would mean a lot as I plan to do this right and keep it for a long time

Ok so the 280zx is more aerodynamic looking than its predessors the 240 and 260
But I really love the front on the older models which leads to my first question

1. Has anyone on here swapped out the 280zx front for the older more desirable 260z look in my opinion ? I could be wrong :confused:

Am I right in saying the 280 bonnet is longer and the wings are different and the headlight surrounds ? Than the 260s parts ? Can anyone confirm ? I want to see what must be changed

Some one said if I remove the 280 bumper it opens up the front to fit a custom grill but I'd be left with 2 large pieces missing on the front left and right corners, has anyone any ideas on this? Maybe thes could be filled or something ?

Also do the rear lamps off a 240/260 fit the 280zx what's involved here ?

Has anyone looked at flushing the rear if the bumper was removed i know it's common on the 260 and looks good but it's a different shape and wondering would it suit the 280zx?

Any info or ideas or pics would be great guys n gals
Thanks matt :driving:

wannitall

Forum User
Hi send me your email and I will send you a pic of mine with the front bumper off look a lot meaner
Sean

280zx

Forum User
Go to tinypic.com and upload your pic there... It will convert it and give you afew options

Copy from tiny pic the URL for message boards then paste it here :) :thumbs:

Pm sent though and thanks :)

280zx

Forum User
Here's a few pics of my car

Here's a few pics of my car anyway so you can see

There is a good few things I want to remove

Like the engine .. Auto box .. Side skirts
Head light covers, alloys etc etc ..

xf3jp0.jpg

2hx6nbb.jpg

fu7702.jpg

voy1kh.jpg

nfjseh.jpg

wannitall

Forum User
hi matt
sent you a couple of pics
have a look on google images 280zx and there is a couple of 280's with the rear bumpers removed and flushed (not pretty) but thats my opinion.
looking at your pics has your car got a chin spoiler fitted

sean

280zx

Forum User
Hi Sean

Yes I got them thank you :)

I might just post one of your pics here to show users
What were taking about :)

Again I think it looks well but the corners under the lamps need
Something to fill them in ..

Yes my car has a chin spoiler fibreglass one
Half the battle of finding one is already done :)
Unless I change the whole front

Below is a picture of Sean's car with the bumper removed

vfh3s8.jpg