Recommended Diff and Gearbox oils

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi
Wanted to know recommended oils that are still availiable, for the 5speed gearbox and Diff on a late 260z 2+ 2.
Also if there are any operational procedures I should look out for, as the Haynes manual is complete**** at showing any detail.
Cheers
Andrew

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Getting the gearbox filler plug out can be difficult as it tends to seize in. Make sure you have the right tool when undoing it. POs may have rounded off the square end.

Mr.F

Inactive
Make sure you can get the filler plug out before draining the oil!

We sell Millers TRX gear oils - synthetic and semi-synthetis. Both excellent!

andrew muir

Club Member
Thanks for the tip, I suspect that the oil hasn't been changed for 10years so it being siezed is a possibility. I take it releasing fluid and a bit of heat should get it moving. If this is not the case what are my options?

Also I take it that any good quality diff oil will be ok?

Ta
Andrew

Mr.G

Club Member
This has worked for me:

Raise the car up and place on jack stands, refer to Haynes or FSM on where to safely raise and place the stands, give the car a good shake to ensure it's safe to work underneath. When available i always leave a spare wheel or two underneath for added safety.

I use a 1/2 inch wrench with no socket on the end, and place a section of steel piping on the end to give you the extra leverage, tighten the bolt first and then try and loosen it. When turning try to exert pressure towards the bolt, as this will help it from not slipping.

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi
Struggling to get the filler plug out of the Diff 260 2+2.
Really hard to access etc, assuming the drain comes out more easily, is there any other method of filling the diff with new oil?

I take it the plastic tube at the top is the breather? it looks like it has been spitting oil out on occasion as covered in old oil. Is it possible to fill her through the breather pipe with a pump?
Or alternatively through one of the drive shafts.
any help much appreciated.
Andrew
:unsure:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
What if you attach a breaker bar to the plug with the end of the breaker bar resting on the ground, then lower the jack slowly and use the car's weight to turn the plug out?

andrew muir

Club Member
Whoa a bit brutal!!
I am a little cautious of stripping out the ally casing or breaking it.
A last resort maybe.
Cheers
Andrew

What if you attach a breaker bar to the plug with the end of the breaker bar resting on the ground, then lower the jack slowly and use the car's weight to turn the plug out?

andrew muir

Club Member
Got the diff oil changed at last, had to remove rear support bar and carefully weld a socket onto the filler plug, got it off with a 60cm breaker bar. Why on hell are these plugs torqued up so much when old they need to do is not fall out!!
The oil that came out was like brand new with no metal on drain plug.
The gear box oil was easy to do but its oil was very dirty lots of iron on drain plug not so good.
Tappets all done very easy, all quite a bit loose. Now car is running really sweet.
Thanks for all the tips guys
Andrew
:thumbs:

73dattoDD

Forum User
Just a bit of info, penn grade 1 oil is suitable for high performance needs refined from 100% pennsylvania crude, high in zinc to control wear. it even gains you a few hp, go and try it.