Rear Tyre Life

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My rear tyres (275/35/19) are down to the wear indicators so need to buy some more.

I fitted a set of 4 Toyo T1 Sport at 30k, now done 43k so just 13k - is that reasonable? Front are still very good, lots of life left.

http://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/proxes-t1-sport

Road noise is stupidly high with these or the Potenzas R050s I had (and still have a part worn set on wheels).

The Potenzas are different markings (and construction) for different cars eg Aston, Audi, Nissan so is it a no no to fit the tyre made for another car. I know folks will say stick to the recommended one but sometimes 'deals' are tempting. On the 350Z I fitted Audi Potenzas R050s and they had wider rain grooves but were fine.

Also out of interest the R050 has a shallower depth groove on the outside when new. I reckon this is for dry high speed roadholding - however my delear tried to tell me they were worn unevenly. I've seen comments on 350Z sites about uneven tyre wear with these too - I reckon people change them prematurely.

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
You tried Toyo Proxes T1R? Seem to be quite a popular wet/dry performance tyre.

http://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/proxes-t1-r

Picked mine up cheap from Demon Tweeks and although I haven't done many miles on them, they seemed nice and grippy on my 260Z. Couldn't comment on the road noise though as I had a very loud exhaust...

We've got an A6 estate with the Potenzas on, seem fine so far with no signs of uneven wear... Not sure whether that has anything to do with it being an Audi but I don't see why that would make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnymd

Club Member
Do you sons know where the car keys are left when you go on holiday? I hear Mallory park is near you.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You tried Toyo Proxes T1R? Seem to be quite a popular wet/dry performance tyre.

We've got an A6 estate with the Potenzas on, seem fine so far with no signs of uneven wear... Not sure whether that has anything to do with it being an Audi but I don't see why that would make a difference?

T1R - yeh I know they are popular but went for the Sport because the tread pattern is more like Potenzas and my lad wore a front T1R out in one day at Mallory (N/S front on a Pug 106 Gti) so I reckoned they must be soft.

My point about uneven wear is that they don't wear unevenly it just looks like that because of the design i.e. dry weather outside edge, wet inside edge.

Do you sons know where the car keys are left when you go on holiday? I hear Mallory park is near you.

The above may back up your theory John :eek:

dav350z

Club Member
I fitted Toyo's to my 350Z and got about 25K out of the rears if I remember correctly. I have always been quite easy on tyres and brakes though. Sounds quite low to me!