Rear lower control arm

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
And so the voyage of discovery continues...

While I was crawling about under the car today I found another something new, one of the lower control arms is upside down! How someone managed to do that boggles the mind, they surely could have looked 12 inchs across at the other one to make sure which way around it should go.

How exactly do I take them off, is it necessary to remove the diff?

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
lol that is the most bizarre thing ever, when I saw it I thought the thinners had got to me!

If I did need to take it off does that involve removing the diff completely?

How do I get the lock pin out on the end that connects to the strut?

johnymd

Club Member
The cotter pin has a nut on the end, once removed it can be tapped out. It's a standard type coller pin. The control arms are the same both sides, that's why one looks upside down.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Any tips on what to tap it out with, to avoid damaging the thread? And do I remove the roll bar from the control arm or the body first, or doesn't it matter?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
i always remove the roll bar from the control arms first then the body,i presume you are wanting to remove your rear control arms ? just a tip use a slide hammer on the control arm bolt ,i used a spare slide end with nut welded on it .

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Morbias, great thread - yes they are unusual, I wonder if Ferrari would do that?

That pin that attaches the arm to the strut can be a real problem to remove - be warned!

Last edited by a moderator:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
ah crap, this sounds like no fun! I'm planning on taking it all apart to rebuild it, maybe I will see how the bushing joint feels when I get it all out and hopefully not have to deal with it and leave the control arm attached to the strut.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Morbias,
When putting the coter pin back, don't overtighten, this is what usually ever so slightly bends the spindle pin, not rust as commonly thought that make removal difficult, (which holds the strut to the control arm) and gives further removal problems. Don't even think of whacking the spindle pin with a hammer..you will just damage the end threads and new these are getting pricy. I have a puller made up which just pulls the spindle pin out easily.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers for the tip, I'll bear that in mind if I have to take it apart (hopefully I won't). I was considering replacing the rear wheel bearings too but I just saw a write-up on that and it sounds like something I really don't want to get into. I haven't checked the bearings yet, hopefully they won't need doing.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Morbias,
The rear wheel bearing are worth doing, these are something that does not often get changed out by Z owners in the past, so your bearings could still be what Nissan fitted when the car was built. They are a faff to do, I took my whole strut to my local machine shop, worth every penny compared to the hassle of doing it myself. Though, these bearings are getting pricy now...oh, and the nut that holds the bearings and stud axle in place, use a 280zx one, these do not require the ends of the nuts to be bent over (which you may have read about on your read on the write up)

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
I was considering replacing the rear wheel bearings too but I just saw a write-up on that and it sounds like something I really don't want to get into. I haven't checked the bearings yet, hopefully they won't need doing.

I took the hubs down to my local garage and the guys charged me about 20 quid to change the bearings for me, So don't be put off.

Rob

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Oh yeah, I'd definitely get someone else to do those for me :)

Anyone know the socket size for the inner joint on the rear control arms? It looks like 24 or 25mm, not sure.

Also the size of the front hub nut, I haven't got any big sockets so I'll have to buy them separately.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Oh yeah, I'd definitely get someone else to do those for me :)

Anyone know the socket size for the inner joint on the rear control arms? It looks like 24 or 25mm, not sure.

Also the size of the front hub nut, I haven't got any big sockets so I'll have to buy them separately.

you do not need to undo the inner joint ones unless you are fitting new bushings and i would have by time you buy the sockets separately it would be cheaper to buy a set of sockets.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
So I can just drop the control arm out of the diff mount bracket without undoing the end bolts?

I already have a socket set but it only goes up to 21mm, so bigger ones I need separately as I'll only use them for a couple of things

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
That sounds pretty easy, I'm sure I'll find a way to balls it up somehow though. Is the best place to put axle stands on either side of the diff mount bracket? I couldn't see anywhere else to stick them.