Rallying could be under threat.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yesterday saw the announcement of the verdicts on rally spectator deaths going back to the Snowman Rally in 2013 and the Jim Clark Rally in 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-42058034

I see some ridiculous spectator situations and have said for a long time that there is a huge difference between motor racing and rallying spectator safety. That is of course mainly due to the nature of the events.

These verdicts will have serious consequences for rally organisers and spectators.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So...not the fault in either case of over-enthusiastic spectateurs wanting to get a better view/photo ?

Just another step away from self-responsability.......

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So...not the fault in either case of over-enthusiastic spectateurs wanting to get a better view/photo ?

Just another step away from self-responsability.......

Yes I agree BUT you have to think of the competitors/organisors too.

How can it be made safer?

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Rob

From my experience there has been a lot done by the MSA and the clubs, since that accident in creating more prohibited areas and larger safety zones and certainly I have been officiating on stages where they have been stopped until offending spectators have been moved to approved areas.

However, we don't know what's ahead, and as I've said before it all comes down to the insurance stipulations. In Eire last year they had a couple of court rulings on similar accidents and for 2017 the insurance has got much more costly, plus the driver is now liable for the first £5k damage to 3rd party property. This has created lower entry number in the lower levels of motorsport in Southern Ireland and is threatening the number of events.