Staff member
Club Member
Wow this is priced well!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322704679192

a6273932e576d5cec5f2a03a79c4965d.jpg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I rather like it. I'll have to decide between the Quaife and the rally clock.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Quaife every day JB!!!! As Steve says a grand + import duties just for a couple of knobs to twiddle will bring you a lot less joy than traction off the line ;)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Pretty useless piece of kit.:(

From personal experience, or received wisdom?

You could say the same for just about anything bolted to these cars, or indeed the cars themselves. Meanwhile, the oscillator-driven 'Rally' clock was fitted to the majority of Japanese market S30-series Z cars from 1969 through 1973, and was a Nissan 'Sports Option' item in Japan and other markets.

Nissan even saw fit to add them to their works rally car builds. Here's an example from one of the works 1970 RAC Rally cars:

johnymd

Club Member
If they were fitted to the majority of these cars then they must be really common in Japan. Yes?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
If they were fitted to the majority of these cars then they must be really common in Japan. Yes?

The majority of Japanese market S30-series Z cars built between 1969 and the end of 1973 were fitted with the oscillator-driven two knob 'Rally' clock. The exceptions were the base-model S30-S 'Fairlady Z' Std. model and the PS30-SB 'Fairlady Z432-R' model, on which they were an extra-cost showroom option.

The majority of the clocks still extant in Japan are still fitted to the cars that were originally equipped with them. Those that do come up for sale are not cheap...

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
From personal experience, or received wisdom?

You could say the same for just about anything bolted to these cars, or indeed the cars themselves. Meanwhile, the oscillator-driven 'Rally' clock was fitted to the majority of Japanese market S30-series Z cars from 1969 through 1973, and was a Nissan 'Sports Option' item in Japan and other markets.

Nissan even saw fit to add them to their works rally car builds. Here's an example from one of the works 1970 RAC Rally cars:

Personal experience.
Don't see the "rally" clock in your pic. Trip meters, yes.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Personal experience.

Really? Perhaps you'd like to explain how it works, and what functions it could perform?

Calling it "useless" requires some qualification if it's an opinion that's going to be taken seriously.

Nigel Brook said:
Don't see the "rally" clock in your pic. Trip meters, yes.

You seriously can't see it in that photo?

Seriously?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I know why Nigel didn't see the clock - normally in a rally car clocks and tripmeters are mounted adjacent for ease of use and timing calculation.

Anyway that looks a lovely purposeful interior Alan, any pics of the complete car?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Really? Perhaps you'd like to explain how it works, and what functions it could perform?

Calling it "useless" requires some qualification if it's an opinion that's going to be taken seriously.

You seriously can't see it in that photo?

Seriously?

Don't know why I should justify this with a reply.
Rallyed for around 20yrs. Used one in the early days.
One of the buttons stops the sweep hand and adjusts the central bezel. The other adjusts the clock. Perhaps ok for regularity rallys if you don't mind undoing your seat belt to operate it but no real use for stage events.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Don't know why I should justify this with a reply.

Why? Is it somehow beneath you? You gave a strongly negative opinion on something, and then claimed not to be able to see it in a photo where it was impossible to miss. This kind of thing is sometimes called "trolling".

Nigel Brook said:
Rallyed for around 20yrs. Used one in the early days.
One of the buttons stops the sweep hand and adjusts the central bezel. The other adjusts the clock. Perhaps ok for regularity rallys if you don't mind undoing your seat belt to operate it but no real use for stage events.

It actually does a little bit more than that, but nevertheless you managed to show that your original comment of "useless" was incorrect and unjustified. The JECO two-button oscillator-driven 'Rally Clock' was a perfectly functional and - for the period (it was designed and built in the 1960s) - fairly advanced piece of design and engineering, perfectly suited to a sports/GT car. It was relatively expensive to make, which may explain why it was not fitted as standard equipment on de-contented Export market cars.

And as a key piece of original equipment on some of the most sought-after and expensive S30-series Z models - prominently displayed on the dash, even if some find it hard to spot - it's an important part for restorers and collectors to get right. Demand is going up, and supply down. That means asking prices go up. It's a simple equation and it works for other parts on these cars too. Try sourcing the correct 'grey' plastic fusebox cover/ashtray for a 1969 production car for example. Tits on a bull for a non-smoker maybe, but still a 'key' part of a full restoration on a car that came so-equipped.

It's all part and parcel of the cars being correctly understood, correctly recognised and correctly curated.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I know why Nigel didn't see the clock - normally in a rally car clocks and tripmeters are mounted adjacent for ease of use and timing calculation.

Like this, perhaps?

Nigel Brook said:
Perhaps ok for regularity rallys if you don't mind undoing your seat belt to operate it but no real use for stage events.

The example above was a works car that took part in several international stage rallies. I'd say the Halda on top of the dash is just as far away as the clock.

If you took a peep in the '71 East African Safari Rally winning car you'd see a JECO two-knob Rally Clock in there too (no doubt useful as a back-up when the Heuers were stolen...). I'd say that's some pretty good pedigree.