Rad core panel

johnymd

Club Member
I really want to make the top of the rad support panel removable but cant bring myself to just cut it out. The engine and box on the 280z are hard to get in and out of the car so removing the top of this panel would make life so much easier. I would still like to retain the factory look though.

Any ideas?

I really want to make the top of the rad support panel removable but cant bring myself to just cut it out. The engine and box on the 280z are hard to get in and out of the car so removing the top of this panel would make life so much easier. I would still like to retain the factory look though.

Any ideas?

Don't do it.

take it out underneath

johnymd

Club Member
I have considered that but the v8 is too wide to fit past the chassis rails.

I just look at all modern cars and how easy removable fronts make it. I just want to be able to remove the top centre section and be able to bolt it back in. I’ll have a think on it.

I have considered that but the v8 is too wide to fit past the chassis rails.

I just look at all modern cars and how easy removable fronts make it. I just want to be able to remove the top centre section and be able to bolt it back in. I’ll have a think on it.

Sorry, I read it as a 280z engine and box!

In that case, just do what suits:thumbs:

johnymd

Club Member
I've been looking a bit closer and now have a goal.

I want it to look as close to factory as possible so I want to make the top centre section a bolt in part with the joints on the top gusset section. I'll cut through at 45* down to the corner of the rad hole. I'll then weld tabs to this removable section so it bolts back. I may also weld in some thin tube in a cross to triangulate it.

Russell

Club Member
I have done that with mine.

The gearbox is really long on mine so to get the engine and box in together we have to lift the car in the air as well as having the engine lifted up which is a pain.

We are mounting mine on tabs in a similar way that you are describing and the inter-cooler will be fixed to that.

The idea being that the inter-cooler can be removed by removing a couple of bolts on the front panel, then 4 bolts for the radiator and we have great access to the front of the engine.

It wont look completely standard but that's not what i'm going for with it anyway.