R200 LSD - Cost

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Right,

I am astonished at the price of an LSD from Quaife.

£210 fitting, £680 parts and £17 delivery plus vat - grand total almost an eye watering £1100...

Any other options? I have been tempted to go down the OBX route now and follow the guide over on hybridZ - works out about £300...

Dan

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Right,

I am astonished at the price of an LSD from Quaife.

£210 fitting, £680 parts and £17 delivery plus vat - grand total almost an eye watering £1100...

Any other options? I have been tempted to go down the OBX route now and follow the guide over on hybridZ - works out about £300...

Dan

Good job you're not looking at a Nismo plated lsd then ;)

racer

Club Member
The Quaife is a torque Biasing diff not a LSD. Much nicer for the road very strong and maintenance free. Well proven by several on here for Track/drag and road.
I've no knowledge of the OBX, but as Nigel says above a used Nismo plate diff used to go for £800 second hand. That was a few years ago.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Yep sorry I do understand the difference between a clutch LSD and torque bias diff. Should have phrased my title differently...

I was keen to go for the Quaife for the exact reasons you mentioned. The OBX unit is a Chinese copy of the Quaife and has had some very promising results on the hybridZ forum.

Dan

ben240z

Club Member
try a hewland limi. £1850 + vat and approx £500 fitting

Quaife looks good value to me.

There is also the thought that you get what you pay for?

I would start with What do you want the car for and to do? road with the occasional trackday? Why have a limi?
road with serious drag time? The quaife would be my choice as they are in this country, proven, not a bad price
Racing with occasional road then as above

johnymd

Club Member
The obx sounds a cost effective option. I know a lot of the hybrid guys use them and at half the price it must be tempting. Personally I'd swallow the extra £360 and go quaiff.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Always been a believer in you get what you pay for but that seems very expensive to me - even the fitting price of £250. I would probably be better off fitting it myself.

I will use the car for occasional track/drag strip and road use.

ben240z

Club Member
Always been a believer in you get what you pay for but that seems very expensive to me - even the fitting price of £250. I would probably be better off fitting it myself.

I will use the car for occasional track/drag strip and road use.

Drag strip is going to be cruel on the transmission and limi if you have half sensible tyres so having chosen to have a limi I would put one in that is going to last.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
It's funny we are prepared to spend the earth on these cars but are willing to skip on the essentials. Wish I had bought a Quaife when I thought about it 6 or 7 years ago. They were a little more reasonable then.

racer

Club Member
Dan the OBX does sound like a bit of a bargain but, how strong will it be?
Quaife will tell you that there's is indestructible. Your motor is going to put out some serious torque, will the obx be up to the job? Research carefully before you buy. Good luck.

johnymd

Club Member
I am using a quaife and have done for the last 3 years. Is it any good? Haven't got a clue as I have nothing to compare it with other than an open diff. I've had the quaife put into 3 R200's in the last 3 years, including 1 that was fully rebuilt with all new bearings and seals. They have all gone from silent diffs very noisy, whinny things. One even locked solid on the way home from the transmission place. I wish I had used quaife to do the rebuild as they only quoted me £80 a couple of years ago. Having said that, I do know of one member on here who used quaife to do the work and has also ended up with a noisy diff so maybe its just your luck. I've learnt to live with the noise now and it doesn't seam to effect its life.

At the end of the day its your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
I have a Quaife in my R180, very impressive on wet surfaces, used to have a small whine until it warmed up in a couple of miles, but since the Manx Classic it's now quiet at all times !!

Maybe you drag boys should start doing a few hills :)