Quaife

PHIL HYETT

Well-Known Forum User
Hi ,Took my diff to Quaife today for the Quaife module to be fitted as they have just taken stock of Forty, R200 modules if anyone is thinking of a Quaife Unit . Now is the time .Should be ready to collect next week so back in the car at the weekend cant wait , Then the winter jobs are nearly done .

Regards Phil:driving:

PHIL HYETT

Well-Known Forum User
Mr G By all acounts should make the world of difference. The proof will be at Brighton Seed Trials . Cant wait , Will keep you informed .

Regards
Phil

johnymd

Club Member
I spoke to quaife today with regard to fitting my quaife diff into another R200. They were very happy to do it and quoted me £100. I was all ready to drop it off this morning when they told me it would take around 6 weeks! As I need the car before then I've had to find someone else. Shame really as I think they would be the ideal people to do the job.

PS. Having driven my car for a fair bit with the quaife in my 3.9, I can tell you it makes a missive difference. Even with the wheels spinning the car gets dragged forward at an amazing rate.

PHIL HYETT

Well-Known Forum User
jonnymd. Who did you speek to at Quaife , I have been dealing with Dave Weller did not seem a problem for mine to be ready next week , Strange ?

Phil :confused:

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
being a numperty can some one explain what is the difference between a Quaife diff and a normal one please as not all on here are petrolheads

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
this might help

Open / Standard Carrier Differential

The standard differential, or what is referred to as an open carrier, is what comes with most OEM vehicles. The open carrier holds the ring gear in place and within the open carrier is generally a set of gears called spider gears. These spider gears are responsible for allowing a vehicle to negotiate a turn and allow the outside wheel to travel farther and turn faster than the inside wheel. This type of open design works great for most of vehicles on the road today. However when a vehicle with an open differential meets a lack of traction, it directs power to the wheel with the least amount of resistance. The result is the wheel on the traction-less surface spins free, while the opposite wheel of that axle on the better traction surface provides little or no power.

Limited Slip Differentials, Posi-Traction (Posi, Posis)

Limited Slip and positraction (posi) differentials are designed to "limit" the tendency of open differential to send power to a wheel that lacks traction and redirect the power to a degree to the other wheel of the axle. The Limited Slip and Positraction differential will send power to both wheels equally when traveling straight, however when one wheel spins due to a lack of traction, the differential will automatically provide torque to the other wheel with traction. Limited Slip and Positraction (posi) differentials limit the loss of torque to a slipping wheel through various mechanisms such as clutches, gears cones, and other methods dependant on the unit. The limited slip and positraction will not provide 100% lock up of the differential in extreme situations such as when a wheel completely looses traction. Limited Slip and Positraction (posi) differentials are recommended for daily driven vehicles and are used in many applications where traction is sometimes needed as in emergency vehicles. They are also ideal for front axles of 4x4 vehicles that are not equipped with front hubs that can be disengaged. The term "positraction" ("posi" for short) was used by General Motors years ago for their limited slip differential and has been used to refer to limited slips since.

Automatic Torque Biasing (Quaife)

The second mechanical method of improving traction is to use a Quaife Automatic Torque biasing differential. Rather than using clutch plates as a method of operation, the Quaife ATB uses sets of floating helical cut gear pinions that run in pockets and mesh during normal driving.
Should one of the driven wheels start to spin however, the helical gears start to generate a torque bias thanks to the axial and radial thrust of the helical gear pinions in their pockets. The result is a progressive transfer of torque away from the spinning side of the axle to the driven wheel, which is now capable of transmitting a greater proportion of torque.

Last edited by a moderator: