Power limits: Need your experience John!

Hub280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
When I saw the first videos of the swap for 1JZ-GTE on your 240Z, I had the impression that every push on the throttle pedal was giving an instant slide of the rear wheels...
I now have a similar situation with my new caged Z32 TT Manual.

The first experience with the red Z32 on Spa Classic last year was giving a lot of confidence with high power, but smooth response of the throttle action. Everything was well studied, including adjustable suspension, Toyo tires, rear enlargement, turbo efficiency, etc...

The white Z32 beast with the cage is now giving a totally different behaviour. Up to 4000 rpm, the car is smooth as the other, but pushing a little more, the boost is climbing to 1 bar, and the wheels cannot transfer the power to the ground without sliding in overpower mode.

I thought I was a little to optimistic on the start, and I tried in third gear, and had it exactly the same way. Then I considered that it would be safe in fourth gear... and I had again the same slide!! All this tested on straight lines and waiting the matter to occur, so relatively safe. This happening in curves would be very difficult!

Yes the tires were cold, and the tarmac even colder, speaking of 4-8°C for those tests and no chance to have the tires hot or even warm. The tires also are old and hard, so those have to be changed. Suspension probably requires adjustment too...

My question is mainly this: Was it a learning question for you to get efficiency by dosing correctly the power according to the situation, or did you solved it with specific adjustments? (tires, inflating pressures, boost control, suspension...)

I like the beast in this car, but there is a long learning curve to consider before using the right power at the right time! Thanks for your explanations (if you accept) and any similar experience - solutions from other members!