Paintwork Question

Nmd14

Club Member
Afternoon all,

Back in April 2015 I treated my 240Z to a glass out re-spray and changed the colour from white to Gulf racing blue.

I now need to repair a minor crack to the tailgate and am keen to get the "new" paint to match the 2 1/2 year old paint as well as possible.

Unbelievably, a company I spent nearly £8k with (for a complete refurb of the car and the re-spray) are refusing to tell me which paint shop they used. Given they are based a 2 1/2 hour drive away I can't take an educated guess either.

My Q is, would it make any difference which paint shop I use assuming they have to right paint code, or will the original paintshop do a better job given they know exactly what they did last time?

Cheers, Nick D.

Paul_S

Club Member
I think I'm right in saying that if you take your car (or a small part of it!) to a decent paint shop they will analyse the paint and be able to match it.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Most good paint shop should be able to match it.if you need to be 100% ask them to do a spray out card before getting them to do the work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nmd14

Club Member
Cheers guys,

That's what I thought but never having directly commissioned a re-spray I just wanted to check.

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
One important question, there are two shades of Gulf racing blue, the original one from the 60s, which is a paler colour, and the 2006 Ford GT blue which is a slightly darker colour which most people seem to go for. If it is the 2006 Ford GT colour there are only a couple of Companies that make the exact colour, which I can look up for you if it is the one, and if it is if you have got the orange stripe I can tell you that is called Epic Orange.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
One important question, there are two shades of Gulf racing blue, the original one from the 60s, which is a paler colour, and the 2006 Ford GT blue which is a slightly darker colour which most people seem to go for. If it is the 2006 Ford GT colour there are only a couple of Companies that make the exact colour, which I can look up for you if it is the one, and if it is if you have got the orange stripe I can tell you that is called Epic Orange.
I would be surprised if it was the 60s shade as 60s paint is very different to what modern paint is now and is difficult to match or impossible to mix on modern paint systems.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
To be totally specific the 60s colour is the original Gulf colours. The Ford 2006 to be specific is called Heritage colours but a lot of people call this Gulf colours. The Datsun that was on eBay the other day in the Gulf colours is actually done in Ford Heritage blue and I can confirm this because I saw the car today at the NEC. The Company that mainly supplies the Heritage paint is called Duopont which is an American paint company.

Also at the NEC today were two replica Ford GT 40s of the 60s, and both of these were painted in 2006 Ford Heritage colour but were replicas of the Gulf paint scheme.

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

Being a tech luddite, I cannot seem to post a picture. It is the lighter blue and I resisted the urge to include orange!

I have written to the business owner today so you never know, I might even get a reply.

Cheers.

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
Did that Gulf 240 sell on eBay? I can’t remember. ...

The car reached just over £10,000 on eBay and did not reach the reserve.

Seeing the car in real life, it is not 100% perfect, but certainly would make a nice car for somebody who wanted something of that style.

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
If the car is the pale blue of the 60s, here is a couple of paint codes to start with - OMNI MBC 2626 Powder Blue.

Powder Blue - PPG 12163

That is what Ford used for the 60s, then you have got the problem Porsche also used pale Gulf colours which is easy enough trace with the Porsche colour codes, and also you had Aston Martin that used Gulf racing colours, but if you go to a good paint shop with the basics of the first colours you should be able to get a match.