old custom car nut relives youth

davidrn

New Forum User
Having sold my P'sche 356 and CL500 needed a fix with a twist 1974
260Z with Ford 302 V8 and jag rear end!
Always wanted a Iso Lele but wife said was too big so here came the best next thing,
needs sorting but that hopefully is the bonding bit.
Ordered a haynes manual not that might help other telling me what with does what and even might manage a colour match to wiring
If your are near surrey hants border you may hear it !

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi David, I have been around Castle Combe in a Z with a Ford V8 in it (Steve Francis') manual box though. It was such a different experience 'rev wise' from my 7k rpm tuned Datsun engine. It went very well though.

Is the Jag rear end a live axle or one of the independent ones?

davidrn

New Forum User
v8 Z

yes will get photos up soon
trying to work out full set up as its been tucked away buy previous owner for over 10 years
Not sure on how back end will handle as we have only driven couple 100 yards from trailer but wheels go round!
Holley carb short 100mm flame through filter so recon a clean out is needed
Will get Phil to put up video of idle , he is better at those things

Last time I did castle coombe was spending more time with rear end breakaways in my ex works Roger clark Alfa GTV which we have now passed on so hoping Z will be interesting mane at least in a straight line.

Phill

Forum User
So slight update.

Dad and I worked through a few bits and bobs on the car.
More at the moment is making a list of parts needed to get the car up and ready for an mot.

Starting off in the engine bay we had to find the engine code.
On a small block ford it's located just above the starter motor, however I didn't realise that it is actually obscured by the starter motor.

We loosend off the starter motor and managed to get to it to drop enough to see the code.
Although all 302s are the same it's always good to know what it came from and the year!

The engine is a "74 from a falcon xb - the Australian one

Motor just needs a good service as it runs already. The carb which is a 600cfm 4 barrel needs an overhaul and I imagine the internals are clogged up from old fuel
The engine clearly has a updated cam but without ripping it apart I can't work out what it actually is

New leads, plugs, electric dizzy to ditch the points and a few other bits and it'll be fine, the fluids are actually fine almost new however well swap them out regardless

New rocker covers and a filter will finish it off, no chrome here just black powdercoating

A friend who makes prototype looms for mclaren should be popping over to tidy up the electrics (the only part we can't do!) and make good the headlights and indicators (worn stalk connections)

Couple of tyres and it'll be on the road as a running project
Photos to come and I really should download tapatalk!

Phill

Forum User
I should also add, the conversion has actually been quite well. I'm not baised as it's our own car, I could rip apart my race car!

Granted it's not to the detail of a lot of modern builds but it has been well thought out.
Only the front pulleys sit Infront of the front axle and a nicely machined subframe has been made which then the engine mounts are located.

The exhaust manifolds are nicely routed as is the system itself. It seems care and attention was given in getting the motor in but the final (easy) parts where hashed together (temp gauge etc)

Again photos will help but a dim garage with an iPhone doesn't help!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
........A friend who makes prototype looms for mclaren should be popping over to tidy up the electrics (the only part we can't do!) and make good the headlights and indicators (worn stalk connections)...

The stalk connections and switches are a common problem. Headlights can confuse, the earth (ground) is switched. :unsure:

The car sounds good and interesting. I want to see the rear drive and suspension.

Phill

Forum User
" I could rip apart my race car!"

What do you Race Phill?

Sorry, force of habit, baby and wedding put a halt to that briefly, i still call it my race car - should change that

I competed in the British Drift Championship but also do demos at shows, i enjoy the drifting as a fun thing rather then competitive.

My car is Bmw e30 that runs a 4.0 Bmw V8, I built the car with Robin Welshcar, its built to full specs to compete but needs a little more testing to be properly competitive in its class, maybe not the most sensible engine conversion for pure racing as it puts it in a very competitive class however it was built for all disciplines and should achieve decent results

although in its 'show guise' as a friend used to promote his seat company (as do I) this was it last year - show guise being roadworthy!!!

racer

Club Member
The drift thing is not my seen to be honest but, I do like many of the old school cars.
That looks like a very nice e30. They are becoming quite rare and valuable now aren’t they. I guess it would pretty quick on a normal track day?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

Forum User
Yep, drifting I find is very pikie and has an awful name at the moment in the uk
I love doing it as it's fun but I am slightly embarrassed to talk about it.....yes hard to find with no rust hence why I needed up with a non sunroof touring!

Yes it's ok, it's off the pace of a similar spec e30 with a 3.2 motor in though at the moment

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Pikie perception or not, I take my hat off to anyone that can do it well, it's a very skilful Motorsport!

atomman

Club Member
Hello and welcome

Any chance of a photo of the 356 ?

I've always wanted one but only managed a '65 911 and a '78 914 so far, my mate had a lovely pre A and i loved working on it,

Gary

Phill

Forum User
Pikie perception or not, I take my hat off to anyone that can do it well, it's a very skilful Motorsport!

I agree with you, thats what got my interested in drifting in the first place, however the uk is so far behind, most venues are banger circuits or venues in each corner of the world and far to many cars held together with zip ties and satin paint to be taken seriously!

Hello and welcome

Any chance of a photo of the 356 ?

I've always wanted one but only managed a '65 911 and a '78 914 so far, my mate had a lovely pre A and i loved working on it,

Gary

Hi, do you still have the '65?
****** photo but this is/was the 356

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Lovely. :thumbs:

The over-riders spoil the clean lines though - they are huge. They even look like they have been extended with a piece on top.

atomman

Club Member
Looks lovely in Red, is that a T5 or T6 ?

No I had to sell it a few years back after I got made redundant,

DPP_0008.jpg

Still regret it now though

Last edited by a moderator: