[SOLVED] Oil Temp Gauge Problem

AndyMinto

Inactive
Hi, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction please?

My oil temperature gauge has stopped working (or my oil is staying very cool). I need to test the gauge, sender unit and wiring. Does anyone know what is involved? All other gauges are working, including the oil pressure gauge that shares the dial.

Obviously, I'd rarther not pull the dash apart if that is not necessary.

All suggestions gratefully received.

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Andy ! My temp sender is located on the oil pan, just a few inches from the drain plug actually. I had a prob with oil temp gauge going right to the top of the scale after 20 seconds running time from cold,, turns out the wiring was shorting due to contamination ,,, might be worth a look anyway ? I realize mine is a z31 and yours is a 280 , but they are close enough to be similar ! :cheers: :driving:Hope this helps !

Mr.F

Inactive
280ZX oil temp gauge sender is also in the back of the sump. Check connector is still in place - common for it to deteriorate and fall off. Connecting lead to earth should max the gauge with ignition on.

AndyMinto

Inactive
Hi,
Thanks all. Problem solved. Wire had broken at the connector near the power steering tubes (connector was still connected but wire was not connected to it). Also it looks like it has been 'bodged' before as the connection to the sender unit is now a self tapper with the wire through a circular connector. The car must have been through a couple of cow boys!