oil pump

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
can anyone recommend an oil pump for my datsun 260 2+2?
I've seen some online but not sure what to go for?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Go for the 280zx turbo one. I think Hitachi OUP0016 is oe and you can still get it.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
If you get one - the rotor should be 40mm tall - the non turbo rotor is 35mm.
The outer housing is the same size for both, so you have to take the pump apart to measure.
Then you need a middle gasket to put it together again - MrF has them :thumbs:

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
+ shipping and VAT...

good point.
to be fair ive allready ordered the ebay one.
ive still got to ring you mr.f for a new rubber steering coupler.
theres never enough time in the day

Mr.F

Inactive
I have them listed at £81.95 + VAT. Possibly a bit cheaper depending on source, but no current stock.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
when fitting the new oil pump i know your supposed to fill the pump with oil prior to fitting to prime it but are there any other things i should be doing?
whenever ive changed oil pumps in the past ive allways wizzed the engine over without the spark plugs in till it builds oil pressure, this way theres the least amount of strain on the engine.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
That's the advise here too. Spin it over with the cam cover off until you get oil at the cam. Then put the cover on and plugs in and away you go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
Right the new oil pump came in the post today and does indeed seem to be the turbo pump type.
To check apparently looking through the oil intake aperture you can see the rotor edge and how how it sits.
When comparing the old pump to the new one I can see the new one sits about 5 mm higher than the standard old one.
I did think about cracking it open to measure but I don't have a spare gasket.
Still yet to fire it up as ran out of time today but should be cracking on with it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
Yup all good. Fired up the engine and loads of oil came spurting out of the cam.
Pressure gauge now reads halfway but that's at cold so would expect it to drop somewhat when warmed up.
Even putting the connecting shaft between the dizzy and pump back in wasn't too daunting:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
well done. if it's anything like mine, you'll be lucky if it indicates as much as 10psi at idle when it's warmed up.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
well done. if it's anything like mine, you'll be lucky if it indicates as much as 10psi at idle when it's warmed up.

yep you were right about that.
at idle it just sits above the 0
at 1500rpm the needle sits at quarter
2000rpm happily goes to half way
blooming thing nearly gave me heart attack when i first looked at it warmed up:eek:, i thought i had ran out of oil or something given how high the pressure was when cold lol

Farmer42

Club Member
Another thing to consider is that the sender units have a habit of giving lower readings when they get older & full of gunk.

Try flushing that out with something first and if that doesnt help, try a new sender. They are still easily available and not that expensive.